Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
As a Construction Manager, supervising up to 8 crews you will manage construction efforts of in-house and contract labor for new construction, maintenance and rebuild projects: fiber/coax/Ethernet cables in-building applications as well as various aerial and rooftop applications to support Starry Internet services.
The responsibilities include ensuring the safety and quality of work performed, identifying and removing roadblocks in the field, ordering and tracking of construction materials in the warehouse, managing crews workload ensuring timely completion in both a safe and quality manner, and achieving budgeted financial objectives. The Construction Manager will also develop an effective front line Leadership team (Construction Leads) and assist them with developing their direct reports so as to drive a high performance culture and environment.
Candidate must be willing and able to work extended hours, rotational weekend coverage, and, on rare occasions, holidays, as needed, to support the build program and/or emergencies. The position also requires administering processes and policies as they relate to: safety, attendance, performance, work rules and our code of conduct.
- BA/BS degree in a technical discipline with equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years minimum experience in telecommunications construction management
- A history of building field construction crews from the ground up and resolving team conflicts
- In-depth knowledge of construction materials, technologies, building codes and material suppliers. Proven track record of efficiently managing supplies.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills with Starry teams and contractors
- Experience managing, tracking and communicating progress and performance to cross-functional management team leader
- A proven track record of accountability and driving timely completion of quality projects
- A history of superior team building and leadership skills
- Ability to think creatively to enhance existing construction solutions and progressively to both identify and implement changes to reduce time and costs
- Excellent analytical and data-based decision-making skills - experience working collaboratively with the solution engineering and project management teams to maximize team utilization and project velocity.
Bonus points if..
- You have prior experience holding yourself and your teams accountable for results and experience tracking and analyzing of individual technician’s performance
- You hold PMP certification
- You have demonstrated excellent organizational / prioritizing skills, integrity and sound judgment
- You have the ability to communicate effectively with employees from diverse backgrounds in order to motivate and engage the team to achieve results, as well as work effectively across organizations to meet customer requirements
- You have knowledge of installation and maintenance on copper or fiber technology
- You have experience in reading and interpreting engineering / construction designs
- You have knowledge of employment/labor laws
- You have the ability to interpret labor contracts/collective bargaining agreements
- You have knowledge of Safety Compliance Plans/OSHA
- You have passionate feelings about Starry and our mission
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.