Radio Network Planning Engineer, III
We love coming up with huge ideas and figuring out ways to bring them to life. Our team spans RF engineering, hardware architecture, firmware, UX, UI, software, industrial design, marketing, branding, and communications. And one thing we all share is an intense desire to make something beautiful. Something that makes a real dent.
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven. We value each other’s contributions and we don’t hire jerks.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking an experienced Radio Network Planning Engineer to join our growing team. You will directly support the Network Design and Deployment group by developing the wireless network design as well as its build, implementation, and optimization. This role includes radio planning activities related to Starry’s network roll-out and operations in Boston and other markets across the country. Our ideal candidate will design, plan, verify, and optimize the performance of point-to-multipoint (PMP) wireless systems, including radio propagation modeling and prediction, frequency planning, site equipment design, end-to-end testing, and performance optimization. You will have had success building out complex wireless data communication systems from greenfield to operations for multiple dwelling units (MDU) and fixed wireless access networks.
What you’ll do:
- Develop the greenfield RF design for mmWave fixed wireless access network
- Act as an SME for all RF design, planning, and engineering for all point-to-point and point-to-multipoint network designs
- Perform network design and quantitative analysis using a combination of radio network planning tools and GIS to determine most optimal PMP hub locations that service a maximum number of buildings within a market
- Extensive field measurement to characterize performance of millimeter wave frequency bands under varying RF environments and clutter class, and form agreement with model predictions
- Design high capacity point-to-point (PTP) wireless backhaul using Tier 1 radio equipment across a variety of frequency bands and technologies
- Design point to multipoint links (PMP), optimizing for diverse engineering and commercial needs
- Verify end-to-end testing results meet expected results
- Optimize the network for capacity and interference through site modifications, parameter adjustments
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field, or equivalent work experience
- +7 years in Microwave radio network planning with experience in wireless system design (PMP, PTP)
- Microwave radio network planning design, deployment, and optimization experience acquired with a wireless provider, consultancy, or radio equipment supplier
- Expertise with RF planning tools (Siradel, Atoll, Planet, or IBwave) and GIS tools (MapInfo, ArcView)
- Understanding of RF propagation theory and model tuning of the radio planning tool, ideally across several frequencies - 80GHz, 60GHz, 37 - 40GHz, 23GHz, and 18GHz
- Ability to do E Band and PCN licensing
- Proven understanding of balancing construction cost, leasing/permitting risk, schedule, and RF performance in evaluating and selecting hub site locations that serve MDUs
- Hands-on experience with field measurement, installation, and testing of radio equipment
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Ability to develop new and nontraditional solutions that leverage multiple wireless technologies and methodologies
Bonus points if:
- You have passionate feelings about Starry and our mission
- Your sense of humor shines through even if stressed
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.