Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a groundbreaking wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking an expert Engineer to join our growing team. You will support the teams who operate our fiber, wireless, routing, and IP transit assets for national backbone, regional backhaul, and last mile networks. Starry prides itself in handling the entire customer experience for internet delivery to the end user, from the consumer friendly Starry Station Dual Band 802.11ac router, which was designed in-house, to custom networking equipment allowing us to deliver gigabit speeds over existing in-home cabling, to custom in-house designed point to multi-point wireless system for the last-mile delivery of gigabit capable wireless from a pre-5G system to a residential dwelling.
This position will focus on improving the ease of operation in our network ultimately delivering an enhanced experience for Starry customers. You will have had successful building and delivering network management automation in complex data networks from design to production operations.
- You will support a 24/7/365 network operations team which responds to network outages and performs test and acceptance during network expansion.
- You will drive automation in the network from design and config to test and acceptance through event management and resolution.
- Your prime focus will be on reducing MTTR, improving event management processes and increasing test and acceptance productivity by automating network management, incident response, notifications, reporting and analysis.
- You will work with Starry reporting groups to develop the network reporting suite and trend analysis.
- You will work closely with the Network Ops Tier 2 and 3 teams to understand and identify areas where automation and workflows can be deployed. You will develop solutions and organize functional requests for Cloud Engineering.
- You will collaborate with the Starry engineering team, which custom builds our point to multi-point wireless hardware, to understand the operational abilities of its products and how they will be deployed.
- You will build automated solutions for the configuration and upgrade of off-the-shelf networking equipment as well as Starry custom equipment. You will implement according to our standards in configuration management and deployment.
- You will work closely with Starry Cloud Operations Engineering to aid in the development of new tools to improve network management and data collection of deployed equipment.
- There may be travel up to 20% of the time to support network needs in remote markets.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with operating a national network, including core transport, IP and access. Operation and maintenance of Network Management Systems is a bonus.
- Self-starter with proven ability to develop creative solutions that enable network management improvements that translate directly to a better customer experience and an increased ease of operation.
- Experience with GitHub, Python, REST, and Workflow systems.
- Excellent Layer 1,2 and 3 networking fundamentals
- Ability to analyze complex networking domains and write reusable code that simplifies and abstracts the underlying systems.
- Interest and ability to research new and emerging technologies to better solve networking problems.
- Proven track record of getting hands dirty to fix problems and drive partner teams
- Experience with data science and machine learning a strong plus.
We work hard, so we take care of our team members and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.