Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry designs, builds and operates wireless and wired networks for single-family units, multi-dwelling units (MDU) and enterprises. We are looking for a hands-on Network Deployment Manager. In this position, you will build and lead a team of professionals who will provision, build, and certify the construction of transmission sites on commercial buildings, receiving sites on MDUs, and finally install wireless modems and routers in subscriber locations.
Who we're looking for:
We’re looking for a Network Deployment Manager to work and lead a team of technicians to support the Network Deployment team by racking, stacking, and cabling networking cabinets; pulling, terminating, and testing copper and fiber optic cables; configuring and provisioning proprietary and off-the-shelf wireless PTP and PTMP radios; and fixing network performance issues. You will work with switches, routers, network management systems, wireless radios, and other IP network devices. A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, but you'll be willing to participate in field deployments that are often off-site and occasionally off-hours.
What you'll do:
- Develop and lead a team of Network Deployment technicians to provision, test, and commission network elements
- Provide a world-class experience for our clients: landlords, condominium boards and enterprises and subscribers
- Hire, train and groom our in-house professionals to excel in their fields and improve our organizational capability
- Enthusiastically and tirelessly advocate for Starry’s mission
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the overall Starry technology portfolio
- Participate in design sessions with Engineering and Deployment QA to develop an understanding for how we approach the design process, how to read design documents, how to cable a customer property MDF cabinet, and how to configure and provision various network components
- Configure routers, switches, NUCs, wireless radios, and other IP network devices in preparation for their deployment to customer sites
- Responsible for network equipment cabling, pulling and terminating CAT & fiber cables, wire and system testing, repair, and service maintenance 24/7
- Track, prioritize, and handle technical activities and landmarks from start of build to customer-ready
- Troubleshoot and correlate event/alarm events and resolve trouble tickets with 24/7 service team
- Produce positive results in high-pressure situations
- Some work shifts outside of normal business hours, performing tasks that can only be accomplished outside business hours and address any new issues that may arise
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
- Collaborate with RF Network Design and Network Operations to ensure uneventful and satisfying service initiation
- Provide hands-on management of the most complex projects: leading by personally taking on any difficult problems
- Based in New York City/New Jersey
- Mentor and coach of members of staff, setting goals and effective checkpoints
- Moderate physical activity to fulfill operational goals
- Additional duties as required
- BS in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- 10 years or more experience with an internet service provider with in-building low voltage construction experience OR 5 years or more in DAS construction
- CCNP or equivalent experience
- Experience with networking and routing
- Proven optimistic and enthusiastic leadership style
- 5 years or more of indefatigable field leadership
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Real passion for Starry’s business
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the position such as bustling about, standing, bending, or sitting for the duration of your shift
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Snacks always on hand
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.