We love coming up with huge ideas and figuring out ways to bring them to life. Our team spans RF engineering, hardware architecture, firmware, UX, UI, software, industrial design, marketing, branding, and communications. And one thing we all share is an intense desire to make something beautiful. Something that makes a real dent.
Starry is reinventing how people connect to and experience the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. The team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
What we’re looking for:
The analytics team is responsible for maintaining our internal analytics platform used by many departments at Starry. We’re looking for a New York based Data Engineer to join us as we begin to build out our analytics platform, tooling, and pipelines. You’ll work with verticals within the business to automate processes and data pipelines while reporting into a small centralized data engineering team. We are looking for a candidate that relishes autonomy and the design process.
What you'll be doing:
- Partner with stakeholders to build data pipelines and tooling for their work
- Become a domain expert for certain datasets within Starry
- Build tools to monitor the flow and quality of data moving through our data pipelines
- Lead by example with best practices in coding and automation
- Work on an evolving data infrastructure platform at a fast growing company
- Participate in code reviews and design meetings
- Learn new tools and concepts on the job
- Communicate with analytics and engineering stakeholders to help you get the job done
- Participate in a positive work environment
- 3+ years data engineering experience
- Python and SQL fluency
- Experience with relational databases like PostgreSQL
- Experience with batch ETL
- Experience with Git and CI/CD within the context of data engineering
Bonus points if...
- GIS data experience
- Spark experience
- Serverless experience
- AWS ecosystem experience
- Streaming data experience with Kafka or Kinesis
- Orchestration experience with frameworks like Airflow
- Front end experience
- Container experience with frameworks like Docker
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks during our monthly company meeting
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage, free gym, private shower facilities, coffee shop, smoothie bar, and cafeteria in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.