Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things.
First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful.
Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We
approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to
delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, and working here you’ll be able to see your direct impact. At
Starry, you’ll have the opportunity to develop and grow your skill sets. Our team is hard working,
fast and collaborative and we encourage independence. There will be many opportunities to
collaborate with other departments and you’ll be able to interact with incredibly talented people.
Who are we looking for?
The Analysis, Weather Survival, and Mechanical research (AWSM) team ensures that all of
Starry’s hardware meets the rigorous demands of providing a reliable internet service to our
customers in harsh environments across the world. Our ideal candidate will be responsible for
developing thermal models, running simulations, and empirically validating results throughout
each product design life cycle. You will work across all of Starry’s hardware, both infrastructure
and consumer facing. You are a highly motivated, energetic individual who is ready to roll up
your sleeves and quickly add value to a fast growing environment.
- Quick: whip smart and able to pick up knowledge on-the-go
- Autonomous: self-motivated and able to deal with the ambiguity typical of an early-
- Detail oriented: has an eye for spotting irregularities and notices “the little things”
- Analytical: able to back your ideas and suggestions with sound data and math
What you’ll do:
- Apply knowledge of heat transfer principles to analyze all of Starry’s hardware at IC, PCBA,
and system level from design through mass production
- Work closely with mechanical and electrical engineers, providing actionable feedback to
improve thermal performance
- Validate hardware during prototype, EVT, and DVT stages in benchtop and system-level
- MS in Mechanical Engineering (or related field) with focus on thermal analysis OR BS with
3+ years of thermal analysis experience
- Knowledge in heat transfer principles and their application to electronics cooling, including
conduction, free / forced convection, and solar radiation
- Skills with developing detailed multi-mode thermal models and performing simulations using
Flotherm, ANSYS, or COMSOL
- Familiarity with Solidworks
- Experience designing and conducting experiments to validate thermal models
- Knowledge of basic data acquisition equipment including temperature, sound, and airflow
- Ability to clearly present analysis and test results to mechanical and electrical engineers
Bonus Points for Experience:
- You have skills with developing detailed models for outdoor electronics enclosures using
- You’re experienced in creating reliability test plans, calculating MTTF/MTBF, and preparing
hardware FMEA plans; HALT/HASS understanding is a plus
- You have familiarity with computational tools such as R, Python, or MATLAB
- You’re capable of performing stress analysis
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified
Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for
employment in the United States.