We love coming up with huge ideas and figuring out ways to bring them to life. Our team spans RF engineering, hardware architecture, firmware, UX, UI, software, industrial design, marketing, branding, and communications. And one thing we all share is an intense desire to make something beautiful. Something that makes a real dent.
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture
What we're looking for:
Starry is seeking a hands-on, results oriented, Network Build & Operations Manager for San Francisco. In this position, you will drive all network deployment of Starry Beam (transmitter) locations, multi-tenant installations, and provide early stage market support for other functions. This is a physically demanding role, with rooftop work, site assessments, and installation services requiring the ability to climb ladders, stairs, work comfortably in small telco cabinets/closets, and carry up to 50 lbs of materials. Daily customer and professional interactions also demand strong communication skills. This position is based in San Francisco but you should be willing to travel, approximately 20%.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will manage and build the Starry Internet network in San Francisco.
- This is a hands-on role. You will be responsible for all local operational aspects of the network build, including design, construction, fiber backhaul connectivity, in-building hardware/wiring, and final customer installations.
- Become the technical expert in San Francisco for the Starry network equipment portfolio and service delivery.
- Provide expert guidance on Starry system design concepts, including physical network design and key RF considerations
- Provide the initial technical product overview to new customer accounts and assist in the production of RFPs and other proposals to customers
- Generate solution documentation for both internal stakeholders and clients: often in the form of network implementation plans, physical network designs, slides, documents, and spreadsheets
- Track, prioritize, and manage all technical activities and milestones from pre-network planning to customer installation
- You’ll be the primary point of contact to resolve technical design issues from customers (internal and external) during and after installations
- Provide hands-on management of the most complex projects: leading by personally taking on any difficult problems
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, you'll also develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
- BS Degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of direct network implementation experience in cable, telecom, or IT installations
- Experience with IP, networking, and routing - CCNP or equivalent experience a plus
- Experience building teams and proven leadership ability
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to directly interface with customers at all levels within the organization, including the executive level.
- Established organizational and time management skills and regimen
- Our ideal candidate will have a strong bias for action, and sense of pace and urgency; you’ll ensure work is completed within expected timelines
- A proven track record delivering on or exceeding goals is desired
- Real passion for Starry’s business
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the position such as bustling about, standing, bending, or sitting for the duration of your shift
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered breakfast every Monday
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.