We love coming up with huge ideas and figuring out ways to bring them to life. Our team spans RF engineering, hardware architecture, firmware, UX, UI, software, industrial design, marketing, branding, and communications. And one thing we all share is an intense desire to make something beautiful. Something that makes a real dent.
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking a RF Technician to join our growing team. You will be responsible for doing site walks and determining the best way to pull wiring from beam facing radio on the building down to the equipment room. This technical role is critical to Starry’s overall success in getting site work done professionally, cost effectively, and in a timely manner. Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record installing RF radios in a PTP and/or PTMP environment and/or installing cable wiring in buildings and/or homes for a telecommunications company in a large metropolitan environment. Experience with aiming RF radios is desired; however, work experience demonstrating a desire and ability to quickly learn new technology will compensate for the inexperience in this area.
What you’ll do:
- Ensure that Starry remains cost effective by performing quality work in a timely manner
- Present yourself to the building owner and/or building manager in a manner to secure his/her trust in you
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills when in the presence of customers, building owners, property managers, and public in general
- Install site equipment and have the ability and skill to do fiber cleaning, splicing, fiber optics testing, ethernet speed test, tone out wiring testing, etc. (It’s possible that you may not have all these skills at present, but you must be able to demonstrate a working ability in one or more of these areas with the aptitude to learn the other skills.)
- Work in a professional manner
- Work closely with Starry’s Manager of Construction to ensure that you are following processes as outlined in your team meetings
- Ensure that you take the opportunity to develop those around you to the betterment of yourself and the company
- Strive to perform work quickly, accurately, and cost effectively
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Experience with wireless system deployments (PMP, PTP, mobile), preferably in deploying greenfield networks
- Prior experience performing building wiring in a metropolitan environment, especially Los Angeles
- Understanding of telecommunications work environments, including a thorough understanding of remaining compliant with national and local electrical codes
- Hands-on experience with in all aspects of building wiring, including the placement of vertical wireless assets is a plus
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Proven team player
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, work in extreme weather, and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
Bonus points if...
- Understanding of RF propagation theory and model tuning of the radio planning tool, ideally across a number of the following frequencies - 80GHz, 60GHz, 37 - 40GHz, 23GHz, and 18GHz
- Limited experience with RF planning tool outputs (Siradel, Atoll, Planet, or IBwave) and GIS tools (MapInfo or ArcView)
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered breakfast every Monday
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.