Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Who we're looking for:
We’re looking for a Team Lead for our Field Network Engineers who work with and support the Field Maintenance team in configuring, deploying, troubleshooting, and maintaining Starry networking systems installed in the Washington, D.C. metro area. You will be leader and mentor to a team of engineers that maintain and handle our network operations and disaster recovery program ensuring our service outages are minimized and within Starry MTTR / SLAs.
A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, but our ideal candidate is willing to participate in field maintenance that is often off-site and occasionally off-hours. This position will be based in Washington, D.C., but willing to travel approximately 20% of the time.
What you’ll be doing:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the overall Starry technology portfolio
- Participate in design sessions with Engineering and Deployment QA to develop an understanding for how we approach the design process, how to read design documents, how to properly cable and configure MDF/IDF cabinets and equipment deployed at Starry locations.
- Serve as point of escalation and Team Lead for our Field Engineers
- In field troubleshooting, replacement, and configuration of the full suite of devices deployed across the Starry Network
- Responsible for creating, updating, and auditing as built documentation
- Leading the coordination and active participation with internal teams as well as outside vendors during maintenance activities (Riggers, Tower Climbers, Electricians, etc.)
- Schedule and Perform planned and preventive maintenance activities in all Starry Network markets in accordance to PMCS Schedule
- Responsible for the creation, escalation, and resolution of maintenance tickets
- Produce positive results in high-pressure situations
- Some work shifts outside of normal business hours, performing tasks that can only be accomplished outside business hours and address any new issues that may arise
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
- Assist in the leadership of the Field Maintenance team by ensuring adherence to work and on-call schedules
- Monitor supply levels to maintain an accurate inventory of stock and communicate needs to warehouse
What we're looking for
- Bachelor's, Technical Institute degree or certificate in Computer Science, Network Management, Information Systems, or other related field or equivalent work experience
- 4-6 years of experience as a network technician, preferably in the field
- Proven leadership experience and the ability to build and manage a team
- Proficient knowledge of the installation of internet broadband, including installation and testing of Cat-3/5/5E/6/6A cables, fiber, fiber connectors, patch panels, rack equipment, 110 and 66 blocks
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Possess a basic knowledge of network topology and TCP/IP
- Experience with networking and routing - CCNA or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated and strong competency in diligently updating as-built documentation for internal stakeholders: often in the form of network implementation plans, physical network designs, documents, and spreadsheets
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, work in extreme weather, and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
Bonus points if..
- You have a noted bias for action, and sense of pace and urgency; you’ll ensure work is completed within expected timelines and is appropriately documented in a project management tool
- You have a real passion for Starry’s business
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Snacks always on hand
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.