Veterinary Technician / Lab Animal Technician
Starfish Neuroscience is an early-stage startup advancing the science and engineering of brain interfaces. Basic and clinical neuroscience has shown how targeted modulation of brain activity patterns can create precise changes in physiology, affect, or cognition. We see that this ability can be harnessed to treat a wide range of conditions, from movement disorders to mood disorders and from poor sleep to chronic pain. Our mission is to build the foundational technology for safe, flexible, and reliable neuromodulation and to deploy that technology as precision therapies, easily available to the people who need them.
We hire people who are able to work both independently and collaboratively, who have deep expertise in their domain and broad curiosity and skills beyond, and who have demonstrated technical or professional excellence.
We are seeking an experienced veterinary/lab animal technician to work on site in our Bellevue, WA office.
- A high level of husbandry and veterinary care and procedures, promoting the well-being of research animals while also enabling efficient technical progress.
- Assisting in the routine maintenance of the animal and research facilities, equipment, and supplies.
- Regulatory compliance.
- Working closely with the scientific team to develop new experimental protocols and infrastructure.
- Behavioral training and developing training protocols.
- Training personnel on animal-related procedures and regulatory compliance.
- Participating in the IACUC and helping to write regulatory protocols.
- Surgical procedures and developing surgical protocols.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree or professional certification in a related field.
- 1+ years experience in animal handling, animal husbandry, or veterinary medicine.
- Basic understanding of animal anatomy and physiology.
- Experience in recruiting, hiring and developing teams and organizations.
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn from others.
- The ability to successfully work collaboratively in a flat organizational structure.
- Able to function as an individual contributor, collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, and work with vendors, contractors and related disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree, Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) certification, and/or Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) certification.
- Experience with neuroscience research, including stereotaxic surgery or behavioral training.
- Surgical and post-operative experience in rodents.
Starfish Neuroscience encourages and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. Consideration will be given to candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, pregnancy, family medical history or genetic information, age, veteran status, family status, or disability status. Starfish is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment and does not tolerate harassment, discrimination, or retaliation.
Reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be provided unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship or present a direct threat. Please contact us to request accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process.