Stack Sports is a leading private equity backed global sports technology company based in Plano, TX. With a wide variety of product offerings, Stack Sports’ technologies make the administrative side of organized sports run smoothly so parents, coaches and players can have fun and focus on their favorite sport.
This position will be based in either Plano, TX or Atlanta, GA.
Who we are
From our humble beginnings as sports parents and coaches, we founded Stack Sports to transform the youth sports experience by helping other parents, coaches and administrators manage all aspects of their sports organizations. By developing easy-to-use team management solutions, we allow parents, players and coaches to focus on the game—not administrative duties. Our founders and employees wear many hats. Successful entrepreneurs. Loving parents. Sports enthusiasts. Community volunteers. Being able to juggle all the important aspects in life can be challenging as sports parents.
Who we’re looking for
The Controller will drive the month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close process, as well as be a key contributor to internal and external financial reporting. This person will help execute the vision for the accounting department, assist in project implementations as needed and support the year-end audit. This individual will be highly technical and demonstrate the ability to identify key accounting issues and apply the correct treatment under US GAAP. They will also have great analytical and critical thinking skills, and be able to bring creative solutions to complex problems as they arise. This person will be a leader and be expected to actively mentor and develop the skill sets of their direct and indirect reports. This individual will demonstrate problem-solving skills, be extremely diligent, organized, motivated, demonstrate the ability to interact well with junior staff and senior management and have great communication skills.
- Drive the close and the financial reporting process, including review of staff work.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting packages to the BOD, Lenders and Internal Management
- Resolve complex accounting issues as they arise
- Review key contracts and complex arrangements to ensure compliance with US GAAP
- Prepare white-papers detailing the Company’s position on key accounting issues and how that position is consistent with the Accounting Standards Codification
- Accounting for business combinations, leading valuation efforts to determine fair value of net assets acquired and ensuring journal entries for purchase price accounting are prepared correctly
- Oversee the development of effective and efficient accrual methodologies for key accounts
- Help drive the integration of new acquisition targets into our ERP environment
- Implementation of new accounting tools and financial reporting systems
- Establish and maintain strong accounting policies and effective internal controls
- Provide analysis of key p/l and balance sheet accounts to determine overall reasonableness of account balances
- Lead a diverse team of 10+ individuals (direct/indirect reports) to ensure that all work is completed accurately and on time.
- Mentor, train and develop accounting staff in ways that are consistent with the vision of the Accounting organization and the Company at large
- Develop KPIs for the accounting department, assist in the preparation of dashboards that help track progress and efficiencies for the department and employees
- Provide support to the finance organization for budgeting and forecasting
- Balance intercompany accounts, prepare detailed reconciliations of all inter-company balances to ensure Inter-company accounts are properly eliminated
- Manage the company’s annual financial statement audit process, including statutory audits of non-US subsidiaries.
- Interact cross functionally to understand business issues which then have implications on underlying accounting treatment
- Manage the financial/accounting integration of acquired companies
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting plus Active CPA
- Experience: 10-15 years of total accounting experience
- Preferred: 6 years at a Big 4 Public Accounting Firm; previous experience as a Controller; private equity environment; M&A experience
Skills & Abilities
- Active CPA required
- Experience in Software or Technology industry required
- Experience accounting for acquisitions preferred
- Extremely adaptable to fluctuating priorities and comfortable in a fast-paced and ever-changing entrepreneurial environment
- Experience working with accounting and financial reporting tools (TM1, Adaptive Planning, Hyperion or the like)
- Experience working with Netsuite (preferably) or other fully-integrated ERP systems
- Exceptional understanding of US GAAP, specifically around software revenue recognition arrangements, multiple-deliverable arrangements, acquisition accounting, internal-use software and software to be sold, leased or marketed, new leasing and revenue standards
- Strong technical accounting background, including but not limited to experience with ASC 605/606 Software Revenue Recognition, ASC 985-25 Costs of Software to be Sold, Leased or Marketed, 350-40 Internal-Use Software, ASC 718 Stock-Based Compensation as well as new lease and revenue standards
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong mentoring skills
- Ability and willingness to develop and train staff with experience ranging from 0-5 years
- Demonstrated ability to apply creative solutions to complex problems
- Exceptional communication skills
- Highly organized and extremely detail oriented
- Able to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong writing skills, experience documenting policies and procedures
- Systems implementation experience a plus
What We Offer
- Open, modern, and collaborative work environment
- Entrepreneurial environment - leave your mark
- Purpose-driven culture
- Comprehensive benefit package
- Fully Paid Parental Leave