Who We Are:
StackCommerce is on a mission to enable people to organically discover products and brands they love on the publications and media they engage with every day. Our native commerce solutions build new, incremental revenue streams for publishers, and empower our brand partners to reach relevant audiences through content. With more than 750 publisher partners, the company’s media network reaches over 1 billion monthly visitors and has over 4.5 million registered users. StackCommerce is headquartered in Venice, CA and was recognized as one of LA Business Journal's 2017 Best Places to Work in Los Angeles. The company is backed by top investors including Draper Associates, 500 Startups, Amplify, and Wavemaker Partners.
The Head of Engineering will leverage their experience in technology leadership to set the technical vision and release cadence for the engineering team. This role will be responsible for creating the technical roadmap, fostering a strong engineering culture and increasing the product delivery velocity for the organization.
What You'll Do:
- Recruit, mentor and inspire the software development, quality assurance, and infrastructure operations teams
- Direct the development of the strategic technology vision and execute against the product and technical roadmaps
- Identify opportunities for delivering the company’s services as a leader in native content commerce, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles
- Establish processes and controls to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to assess and recommend technologies that support the company’s strategic goals
- Determine the long-term architecture of our platform and be responsible for implementing the company’s product development vision
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization
- Ensure company technical impediments are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner
What You'll Need:
- 10+ years of senior technical leadership experience, preferably in high growth startup environments
- Experience with web based software development using Ruby on Rails, ReactJS & AWS
- Relentless with best practices and willing to discuss the choices you make with your fellow engineers
- Strong advocate for test-driven development
- Ability to leverage data and analytics to build new systems and products
- Experience working in an agile software development environment
- Comfortable in early-stage, fast-paced, high-growth, resource-lean environments
- Strong project and people management skills
- Strong communication skills, including executive presentations
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field; advanced degree is a plus
- Experience developing large scale e-commerce marketplaces
- Experience with MySQL, ElasticSearch, Docker and AWS (EC2, ECS, RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda etc)
Benefits + Perks:
- Salary, Equity, 401(k) & Health Insurance
- Dream Setup: MacBook + 27” thunderbolt display with any bells and whistles you need.
- Vacation: “Unlimited” Paid Vacation
- Allowances: Stack Coupons, Learning allowances, Monthly Books, and Parking+Uber Dollars.
- Free Food/Drinks: Stocked cabinets and fridge at your disposal.
- Rad Location: Our office is literally on the beach in Venice - Surf everyday!
- Amazing Events: Annual Company Cruise to Mexico, Yoga on the Beach, Bi-Annual Hackathons