What is Spur?
Spur is a unique HR, payroll and benefits platform that helps businesses save time and money while also helping to improve the quality of life for their workforce. Our passion is helping companies that depend on hard working, hourly employees become great places to work. We provide a free HR and payroll system that not only saves companies time and money but also helps them implement best practices for managing hourly workforces. We also offer a benefits platform with unique benefits tailored specifically for hourly workforces.
We don’t just talk the talk. We walk the walk, too. A happier, more satisfying workplace is not just something we relentlessly pursue within the four walls of our company, it’s how we envision the future of employment.
If this sounds like a mission you want to be on, we’re seeking only the brightest, boldest, and most innovative individuals to join us in making this a reality.
What are we looking for?
Before we get into the fun stuff there are a few basic requirements you’ll need before applying:
- Experience with mobile and/or web applications
- At least 2 years of experience as a software developer
What is it like to be a software developer at Spur?
At Spur, the development team supports a lot of different facets of the organization. Here’s a quick breakdown of how we work:
What products will I be working on?
It depends on your skillset and our current roadmap at the time of hire. There are a variety of projects at Spur, and we are always finding new things to build. We consider each project a tour of duty driven towards very specific outcomes. Once that has been accomplished, we find new opportunities to sprint towards.
How fast is the onboarding process?
We’d love to have you contributing on day one. This isn’t a big corporation with lots of red tape and rules. We want you to hit the ground running. One of the best parts about working at Spur is seeing the results of your work realized in days. Not years, months, or even weeks.
What are the politics like in the office?
This isn’t a big problem at Spur. Executive management is responsive to good ideas no matter the source, and they are happy to change their mind if it puts us down a better path. The vast majority of our problems are startup-related issues not personnel.
What is the engineering team's relationship like with product management, product design, and QA?
We have a great relationship with the rest of the product team. We have dedicated product owners, designers, and QA team members. Everyone has insight and the opportunity to provide feedback on product roadmaps and overall company goals. You will be working with these team members in an Agile (scrum) environment.
More about Spur
So if you’ve gotten this far you might want to know a little bit more about what Spur has to offer:
Free office snacks, free spotify, free headphones, gym reimbursements, and free weekly office lunches. What else do you want?
ROWE (vacation / sick time)
Team members on the product team participate in ROWE (Results Oriented Work Environment) which essentially means that we don’t track time off. We trust that everyone working here is a professional, responsible adult. If you’re sick, take the time you need to get better. If you need a break to refresh and see the world, enjoy your trip. We look forward to seeing the pics.
Each team member typically attends one conference a year. Last year we went to Laracon in Chicago. Continued education is important and encouraged. Conferences are a great way to network, learn new material, and re energize for work.
Our product team is in great shape. It’s seen as a foundational part of team building and helps to relieve stress. We offer reimbursement to any gym each month.
Health insurance? We got it. Vision insurance? We got that too. Dental insurance? You bet. Life insurance? Uh-huh. Disability insurance? Absolutely. Recently, our HR and Operations teams have worked to reduce our co-pays by half! We aim to be the most worker-centric company and that includes you too.
You will be eligible to receive Incentive Stock Options (ISO’s), the amount of which will be determined and offered within your first month at Spur.
- Monthly book club (one free book per month)
- A video game area designed like a 1980’s living room
- Street hockey
- SpurX (similar to TedTalks but internal to Spur)
- Video game tournaments (including quarterly LANs)
- Flexible hours / locations
- Happy hours
What is the culture like at Spur?
Sure, every company says "culture is important". We say that too. We live and breathe it as well. We value culture fit in our employees and candidates over any academic pedigree or accomplishment. So how do we define our culture? We've broken it down into 10 core principles, known as the Spur Charter:
- WHO is more important than WHAT. Our most important assets are the people who work on our team.
- We practice radical truth and radical transparency. Disagreements should not be filtered in the interest of feelings. We work for accuracy, not kindness. Everyone is expected to contribute.
- We value meaningful relationships. We look out for each other and have each others’ backs as long as doing so is consistent with our values and principles.
- Take risks, but don’t be reckless. Don’t worry about looking good. Worry about achieving your goals.
- Stay in sync. Decisions must be understood, and disagreements must be resolved.
- When faced with a problem or challenge, you should seek to solve the problem and create a process for you and others to deal with that problem more effectively in the future.
- Constantly learn and improve. Look for opportunities to make yourself and the company better, and then take action.
- Be passionate about the work you do.
- Take ownership. Do what it takes to ensure you and your team succeed. Don’t delegate your success or failure to others.
- Do things the right way.
How should you apply?
Make sure you answer all the questions during the application process. Don’t worry, it’s just a few. We look forward to working with you!