Who We Are at Sprout Therapy:
Sprout Therapy is a tech-forward provider of pediatric autism therapy across the United States. We believe that families, clinicians, and insurers all deserve a better healthcare experience, so we built one.
The team is backed over $96mm from leading investors in healthcare technology, including General Catalyst, Founders Fund, SignalFire, e.ventures, 8VC, Felicis Ventures, Sound Ventures, and Bling Capital, our mission is to provide personalized, technology-empowered care for children with autism in the environment best suited to help them grow and thrive — the home.
We’re looking to rapidly grow our team with values-driven, diverse, and caring professionals to help us improve autism care.
About the role:
The General Counsel, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, will serve as trusted advisor to the executive team and will support all areas of the business. The General Counsel will play an important role in advancing Sprout's strategy and business priorities, managing legal and reputational risk and ensuring that the practices, policies and operations of the company meet all legal and regulatory requirements.
With a broad legal background, the ideal candidate will be a collaborative, engaged and hands-on leader and risk manager with a mandate to continue to build an effective and efficient legal function to support our rapidly-growing company. The role will require a high degree of self-sufficiency, and thoughtful creativity.
What you’ll do:
- Define and execute corporate legal strategy through both internal and external legal resources to optimize the risk/benefit tradeoff related to the legal and regulatory exposures of the Company
- Partner with key decision-makers across the company to support Sprout's success in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Provide the legal and regulatory expertise to help drive new business opportunities and growth strategies.
- Advise on commercial matters, including partnering with the business and government and commercial payers, to accelerate and streamline commercial agreements, evolving related policies and processes as needed.
- Provide advice and direction on key legal, legislative and regulatory developments which could have a material impact on the company's finances, competitive positioning and/or reputation.
- Provide prompt legal advice to Sprout's business to facilitate, improve and strengthen operational decision-making through integration of legal analysis as part of the overall business development process.
- Build strong relationships and engender trust across the organization; use legal expertise, business savvy and sound reasoning to seek constructive and pragmatic solutions.
- Serve as the principal legal advisor on any corporate transactions; manage and support related due diligence, negotiation, preparation of term sheets and definitive agreements, and financing documentation and closing processes. Assist with post-deal integration activities as needed.
- Oversee day-to-day legal function across the breadth of the enterprise and key functions, encompassing data privacy, data governance and records management, international, finance, tax, litigation, intellectual property, human resources and labor and employment matters.
What you’ll need:
- Must have a law degree from a recognized university
- Must be admitted to a recognized bar within the United States
- Senior, diverse legal experience: legal experience, ideally gained through a combination of law firm and senior in-house roles in a private or public company setting. Exposure to a broad range of legal disciplines, including corporate, commercial, intellectual property, regulatory, tax and employment matters.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization
- Strong negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within the organization’s legal department and across all businesses
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Demonstrated agility when building systems and practices required for scale. Attention to detail and the highest standards for accuracy and precision
In addition to our clinicians and supporting departments, our company is built around four cross functional teams (spanning operations, product, marketing, business development, etc.):
- Demand - Deliver top notch products and services to our growing number of families. You’ll work with families to understand pain points and optimize the patient journey from first contact to start of care to offboarding.
- Supply - Own and manage the relationship with our clinical practitioners. You are responsible for the growth of our clinician ecosystem by attracting, recruiting, and retaining high quality autism care providers.
- Platform - Build tools and provide services to optimize and improve the delivery of clinical care. You’ll help match the right provider with the right family, coordinate clinical care, and develop digital therapeutics products.
- Quality - Improve the quality of care delivered to our families. You’ll ensure that we provide strong clinical outcomes, develop training platforms to level up our providers, and maintain compliance with a variety of payor and regulatory requirements.
At Sprout, we are a globally distributed team with many of our team members located throughout the world, including in the following cities: San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Toronto, Montreal, and Kyiv. While everyone currently works remotely, we envision a future that balances face to face collaboration with a remote friendly environment.
What We Believe:
- Families first, everything else second: We put our families first, always. No decision is made at Sprout without considering the value it would bring to our families.
- Think and act like an owner: We think of ourselves as not just employees but part owners. We understand that when Sprout thrives, we all thrive.
- Candor and respect: We can't achieve greatness without ever disagreeing. We need to have healthy debates to ensure that we're making the right decisions.
- Never settle for less: We don't settle for anything less than excellence. We're relentlessly committed to delivering the best care to our patients and always strive to do better by them.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
Sprout Therapy is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We celebrate diversity and welcome applicants from every background and life experience.