Spring is accelerating the discovery of therapies for aging and its related diseases. A tight integration of biology and machine learning is at our core, and we're building a rare team of scientists and computational folks working together to accelerate our innovative approach to modeling the biology of aging (in vitro and in vivo) and turning experimental data into therapeutic insight.
We're hiring a driven, self-motivated lab manager to assist with the operation of our high throughput screening lab and support or drug discovery team.
Aging is the single greatest risk factor for the most detrimental diseases on Earth — cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative disease, pulmonary disease, cancer, muscle wasting, and more — and drugs that slow the biological damage accumulated while aging have the potential to reduce the incidences of these diseases, possibly simultaneously. We believe that in the not-too-distant future, the discovery of therapies for aging will provide some of the most effective tools in history for reducing our burden of disease and extending our healthy lifespan.
Our mission is to dramatically accelerate the realization of that future. And we’re bringing a new set of machine learning tools to bear on this challenge.
- Assist with the operation of a state-of-the-art drug screening lab
- Organize and maintain lab inventories for reagents and consumables
- Facilitate shipping and receiving activities in the lab
- Write and maintain lab operations documentation
- Track and coordinate equipment maintenance and support activities
- Maintain our biobank sample collection, including accessioning samples into the lab
- Maintain our laboratory safety and training programs
- Manage scheduling of lab equipment and resources across multiple programs
- Assist with routine research activities, including buffer and media formulation, sample tracking and labeling, and thawing and prep of reagents and samples.
- Assist with validation and implementation of process improvements in the lab, including lab automation
We are building an interdisciplinary team. We don't expect you to have a background in machine learning, just as we don't expect our computer scientists to be expert biologists. We do expect our teams to work closely and learn together day in and day out.
We value building a diverse, inclusive environment and welcome all applicants regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, education, age, or other personal characteristics.
A unique opportunity
We have deep support from some of the best investors in the world: General Catalyst, First Round, Felicis, Laura Deming's Longevity Fund, pharma/biotech angels, and many more. Our advisors are world leaders in aging research, senior execs at pharma, and top tech entrepreneurs.
And at the same time, we're just getting started. You're joining a team that has the funding needed to be ambitious while still early enough to help define our culture, choices, and success. Our expectations of you — and of ourselves — are high.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or greater, preferably in a scientific discipline.
- 2+ years of experience in a laboratory environment (can include coursework).
- Experience with core biochemical practices (ie, molarity calculations, buffer/media formulations, pipetting, etc.)
- Prior experience passaging and maintaining cell cultures
- Experience working with Airtable or other data management systems
- Service-minded: You have a desire to do work that supports others.
- Tends towards ownership: You are always willing to step up and address problems as they arise.
- Crisp communicator. You excel at crisp, concise written or spoken communication. You love learning and teaching others in a cross-functional team (we're biologists, computational folks, and more).
- Innovative: You are able to quickly grasp new concepts and find ways to bring them to bear in solving problems.
- Dependable: Your word is iron. You are ready to be entrusted with ensuring smooth operations in the lab and the maintenance of delicate capital assets.
- Steadfast: Things will break. When they do you are ready to learn and move forward.
- Mature in the face of ambiguity: You are comfortable building the plane while in flight. You work to resolve ambiguity — and you're comfortable making decisions when it remains.
- Leader/Self-starter: In the past, you’ve run your own show (be it your own business, club, or just a lemonade stand). You are comfortable making decisions and standing by them.
Nice To Have
- Experience maintaining biological samples in LN2 cryostorage
- Hands-on experience with Liquid Handlers and other laboratory automation equipment
- Experience with high throughput screening
- Prior experience in small team research efforts
- Familiarity with health and safety compliance regulations
- Experience with high content imaging
- Competitive salary and equity in a growing, well-funded startup
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Generous vacation policy
- Healthy feedback-focused environment — leadership will have high expectations, regularly share constructive feedback, expect you to grow, and welcome receiving feedback from you.