Software is the heart of any enterprise, so product engineering teams need to deliver features that have a direct and measurable impact on the business. Engineers want and need to deploy code quickly, but this can often lead to failures or other performance issues and, shockingly, 80% of new features have no or negative business impact. Split allows engineering and product teams to deliver and measure features that matter, faster.
Split’s platform expedites development and fuels experimentation. Feature flags free you to deploy when you want, roll out when ready, and dynamically adjust in production. Combining feature flags with ops data allows you to detect release issues, identify the feature, and kill it instantly if needed. The platform also integrates with product analytics data to measure impact through statistically rigorous A/B tests. Split sits at the intersection of software delivery and experimentation.
- Well-funded: $60M raised through Series C from top-tier investors including Accel, Lightspeed, Comcast Ventures, with strategic investments from Atlassian, ServiceNow, and Microsoft M12
- Ended 2020 with 2x growth, serving over 1 Trillion flags a month to over 1 Billion users, and tracking to over 25% ahead of plan
- Team of 125+ and doubling in 2021
- Headquartered in Redwood City, with offices in Boston and Argentina
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITY
Reporting to Brian Bell, CEO, the responsibility of the VP of Marketing is to be a strategic partner in defining and executing on Split’s go-to-market strategy and to take the company on the next phase of its Marketing journey and to build and lead an inspiring and passionate team. Critical to this next phase of growth will be the need to amplify our narrative and positioning to our target markets and aggressive pipeline generation in support of a B2B enterprise selling motion, augmented with a developer-led motion. The head of Marketing will be responsible for Demand Generation, Product Marketing, Brand/Communications, Field Marketing, and Developer Relations.
Successful outcomes will include:
- Create a unified vision for Marketing aligned with corporate strategy and key company objectives
- Develop and iterate on the Split narrative & positioning to align to our mission of transforming product engineering teams to build impactful products
- Build a world class demand gen machine which can support our rapid growth and market share expansion
- Accelerate Split’s expansion across our target markets & verticals
- Partner with Sales on the GTM execution, enabling team to sell multi-product and into the enterprise
- Translate marketing strategy to plans for each functional team in terms of enterprise GTM
- Expand Split’s category leadership and thought leadership driving awareness and credibility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will exhibit the following traits:
- Functional Expertise: True marketing depth with a particular fluency in modern marketing technologies. This individual must be revenue oriented, understand that the true measure of a successful marketing organization is the overall growth of the business and drive their organization accordingly. It would be great if this person has experience working across a variety of GTM motions: top-down, bottoms-up, freemium, multiple LOB.
- Story-teller: While it is not required that this person has been part of a company that has created a new category, it is critical that they are capable of developing and telling a compelling story, positioning a product effectively in the market and generating buzz with customer, analysts, and other influences
- Leadership: Team-builder. Demonstrated success as a strategic business leader and executive. Strong communicator, good listener and motivator of people with strong interpersonal skills. Able to participate and play a key role on the executive management team, significantly contributing to the overall corporate strategy.
- Quantitative and Analytical: Itt is critical that this person is able to measure success rates and iterate fast when things aren’t working. This individual must be able to efficiently operationalize current marketing technologies to ultimately drive revenue. Following that, this individual must support budget, campaigns & investments with data.
- Domain expertise: This person likely comes from a highly successful and admired DevOps, Analytics or "SaaS 2.0" application company. This person should be familiar with the software development continuum.
- Growth Stage Experience: Experience in a business growing rapidly and at scale (>$25M in revenue) while continuing to expand into new markets (geographies and customer bases) is critical.
- Developer & Product Led Growth Experience: The ideal candidate will have some PLG or bottom- up developer experience.
- Cultural Add: As a member of the executive team, this leader must enhance the Split values. This person must be highly analytical with strong horsepower and a willingness to take risks.