The Legal department is responsible for all business and legal matters for Splice. More specifically, this group manages, negotiates, and executes on a broad range of legal issues in order to minimize legal exposure for the company.
Music starts at Splice. As a collection of artists, producers, creators and collaborators, Splice sweats every detail involved in the creative process. From our expansive library of content, to the tools we provide, to our company work culture, we’re constantly evolving towards being the best advocates for our artists and employees. If you work at Splice you’ll be asked, “what does music mean to you?” That’s because music is at the core of everything we do. It’s why we hire trailblazers to help us solve problems, navigate uncharted territory, and change the industry for the better. It’s why we seek out diversity in who we hire, represent and collaborate with to ensure that we’re growing towards a more inclusive and open minded reality. And it’s why we hold ourselves accountable for our part in shaping music creation.
Splice seeks a bright, highly motivated individual who will be a hands-on, business-first lawyer who can handle negotiations and draft contracts for content production for the Splice platform, complex copyright issues, day-to-day operational needs, and strategic priorities. This individual will need to be capable of handling a fast-paced working environment and providing practical and strategic legal advice and counsel to the internal business partners. This role reports directly to the General Counsel.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create templates/forms that will best capture the necessary rights required for Splice.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of agreements corporate partnerships, digital production, co-production, license, distribution, acquisition, development, and content rights deals, including talent agreements and music rights agreements under manager supervision.
- Analyze and summarize comments from opposing representation and propose solutions.
- Assist in providing on-going business advice to internal clients concerning DTC platforms, product/software releases, digital content production, talent, and other issues as needed.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with Splice’s business units, and outside corporate partners, producers, music labels, agents, and talent.
- Qualified candidates must have a JD and be a member of the New York Bar. Must be able to work in the New York City office.
- Minimum of 4 years of in-depth negotiating and drafting experience is a core requirement within the entertainment and/or digital media industries. Experience as in-house counsel or as an associate at a law firm focused on intellectual property is preferred.
- Knowledge of the areas of law required: intellectual property law, corporate law, technology law, and data and privacy law.
- Candidate should possess excellent organizational skills, be extremely detail oriented and highly organized to be able handle a high volume of multiple projects simultaneously and to work under tight timelines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills with and to Discovery executives, internal clients and the outside entertainment community.
- Must be self -motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, and offer a high level of customer service.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software applications desirable.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Splice is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability or age.