About SpinSpin’s mission is to make daily living more efficient and enjoyable by reducing barriers to transportation and improving access to education, jobs, healthcare and more through a world full of 15-minute cities. As one of the leading micromobility companies and a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Company, Spin partners with local communities and governments to bring sustainable, affordable and reliable e-scooter and e-bike programs to cities in North America and Europe. We are a diverse group of artists, engineers, designers, urban planners, tech and policy experts from around the world. We believe in inclusivity and building powerful alliances to fulfill our goals and move our mission forward. Above all, we at Spin are connected by our values and purpose which is to give more people the freedom to move. Learn more www.spin.app
About the Role
The Head of Hardware Technical Operations manages the teams responsible for Manufacturing Engineering, Test Engineering, Supplier Base Engineering, and System Integration Engineering. This role requires a strategic thinker with a wide breadth of experience who can not only understand the big picture but can also be hands on and detail oriented to manage a multi-functional global organization.
- Lead Hardware Technical Operations, including onboarding off the shelf (OTS) and custom designed electronic and firmware vehicle systems, development of manufacturing process, and design manufacturing test verification.
- Architects wide-impact solutions from the ground-up and provide business acumen and justification for the decisions.
- Develop and deploy performance management processes including meeting structures and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for these functions.
- Lead NPI efforts at the global level to support factory NPIs and production ramp.
- Responsible for developing and deploying hardware product production test strategy in a low-volume high-mix environment, focused on performance indicators including cost, quality, and time-to-market in order to support strategic plans and objectives of the overall organization.
- Partner with Hardware Engineering and drive DFM efforts throughout the product development cycle. Influence the design process to improve manufacturability for yield, reliability, and ease of assembly and disassembly
- Apply lean principles to achieve continuous improvement in the areas of process, quality, cost, manufacturing throughput, and first-pass-yield. Develop core competency and subject matter experts in special processes and associated process control techniques.
- On-boards and oversees global resources, ensuring they are an integral, effective arm of the Technical Ops team, and manages the flexible sizing of off-shore capacity as project needs require.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Manufacturing Engineering, Electronic System Engineering, Power System Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of NPI electronic and firmware systems , manufacturing, and manufacturing test engineering experience; experience in micromobility or other electrical, power, and drivetrain industry desired.
- Working knowledge of circuit board assemblies and test & verification processes
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent formal and informal communication skills, innovative problem solving skills and strong facilitation skills are required. Knowledge of and ability to work within a global corporate environment is required. Highly collaborative.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex priorities within demanding timeframes. Strong project management skills.
- Implementation and working knowledge of advanced manufacturing techniques such as Lean and Six Sigma in a manufacturing environment, and related data analysis tools.
- Must be comfortable and effective acting as a catalyst for change.
- May be required to travel domestically and internationally 15%; must be able to acquire all necessary travel documents.
- Must be able to complete job responsibilities working with global time zone needs such as attending late night/early morning meetings by phone and/or web to meet global business needs.
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
- Wellness, Home Office & Internet perk for salaried roles
- Discount on Ford automobiles
- Discount on Avis car rentals
- A monthly Mental Health Day-Off for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law.
Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.