Spin is a fast-growing micromobility company committed to a world with clean air, liveable cities, safe streets, and widespread access to convenient, affordable transportation. If you’re searching for a top-tier career where you can make a difference and dynamically collaborate within a creative, lively environment—Spin welcomes you!
We’re passionate about transportation and technology. The work we accomplish fulfills a sense of meaning and purpose, which goes beyond the traditional dimensions of a workplace. Our products and initiatives directly influence people’s lives, which is proven by our customers' feedback.
Founded in 2017, and now a subsidiary of Ford Motor Company, we have worked together with cities, campuses, community groups, and businesses to expand internationally. Even as we expand, we maintain the close feeling of a small business, with “fireside chats” chats led by our company’s founders, weekly OKR pop-up videos, music-infused presentations at our All Hands meetings, and more. During this time of working remotely, our creativity and shared goals have kept us united and bonded within our virtual community.
We are a diverse team of artists, engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, marketers, and operators. We believe in inclusivity and build powerful alliances to fulfill our goals and move our mission forward. Above all, we at Spin are connected by our values and #BeOrange spirit, which represents unity, purpose, passion, and creativity.
About the Role
While hiring and building out our world-class Data Science team, you will build machine learning models that will improve operational efficiency via modeling and forecasting of geospatial scooter demand and rental dynamics. Working with the rest of the data team to build User Segments, LTV, and User Churn models which will generate user growth, automate, and drive investment in user acquisition. As one of our first Data Scientist Managers, you will be hands-on working with advanced inference and forecasting models for Spin’s scooter marketplace dynamics. You will team up with our current data team and build fraud, payment, and risk models; building these models using data from IoT devices to detect non-compliant user behavior - Scooter placement, locking, sidewalk detection, etc. For user experience, apply ML models to power personalization and recommendations features.
- Lead and manage a team of ML researchers, statisticians, and quantitative analysts to craft and execute decision making.
- Set standard methodologies and processes for machine learning and data science from research, prototyping, experimentation, validation to production.
- Own and make a direct impact on the success of all ML models and output including disambiguation, predictions, and recommendations.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define strategy and vision, and align the team effort and individuals’ goals to reach there.
- Build a brand for this high impact team to attract and retain top researchers and scientists.
- Sophisticated training and knowledge in ML, Ph.D. preferred in Computer Science or related STEM subject area.
- 5+ years of experience leading and mentoring teams to success in deploying ML models as part of a consumer products or marketplace at scale
- 12+ years of hands-on experience and knowledge of classic and modern ML and data tools and techniques
- Ideally, strong programming skills (Python, R or Java/Scala) in PyTorch or TensorFlow
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
- Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law.