Spin’s Public Policy team is formulating and advancing regulations, policies, and initiatives to make micromobility an essential option for people everywhere. As we grow rapidly in new markets, we’re leading efforts to make Spin the greenest company in the industry; we’re working to shape the safety and livability of streets across the country; and we’re developing data practices and policies that yield new insights into mobility patterns and needs. Above all, we’re trusted partners of cities: we never launch without permission, and we proactively seek ways to help the critical work of public agencies.
We’re looking for a motivated, detail-oriented, and flexible policy professional to join our team, with a portfolio focused on both the policy/regulatory and technical aspects of mobility data-sharing with governments and other third parties, as well as ensuring Spin’s commitment to data privacy and security. We’re always juggling the challenges of maintaining existing and new data-sharing relationships, protecting our users’ privacy, abiding by all applicable data security and privacy laws, and ensuring that Spin employees understand how and why we share data. This role will be critical in ensuring we not only stay on top of our data-sharing obligations but also lead the industry in collaborating and innovating with governments and privacy stakeholders to deliver the data that public agencies need while safeguarding the public’s privacy and ensuring the security of our data. We’re a small team, so the work might involve everything from strategic and big-picture thinking and representing Spin at multistakeholder forums shaping the specifications and structure of mobility data-sharing regimes, down to the nuts and bolts of connecting city officials with our data feeds, providing reactive communications and policy support when challenges arise, and working with product and engineering teams to advise them on building better data-sharing systems. The ideal candidate has a background in data policy, especially privacy and security dimensions; has a strong grasp of the technical basis of mobility data-sharing technologies and specifications; is an excellent communicator; has experience working with diverse partners including government; and has an appetite for working on critical urban and mobility issues.
- Work with the Public Policy team to formulate and update our data-sharing, privacy, and security policies, both internal and external.
- Review data-sharing, security, and privacy requirements, assess risks, and work cross-functionally to develop effective internal and external responses.
- Manage inbound data-feed access requests, liaising with policy, partnerships, engineering, and product teams to ensure timely and appropriate responses.
- Develop materials, processes, and protocols to document compliance and streamline responses.
- Act as the key point of contact internally and externally for all policy matters related to data sharing, privacy, and security: be an external ambassador for our policies, and an internal resource for a teams across the company.
- Be the product-policy liaison, feeding policy needs and insights into ongoing technical upgrades to our data sharing infrastructure.
- Manage Spin’s engagement with external consortia around data sharing and privacy.
- BS or BA degree or equivalent experience.
- 5 years experience working in a policy, legal, or program management role, with at least 2 years in a data sharing, privacy or security capacity.
- JD from a top-tier school.
- Public-sector/government experience.
- Privacy certification (e.g. CIPP/CIPM)
- A data science or software engineering background or equivalent technical experience with data sharing, privacy and/or security.
- Experience working with mobility data sharing specifications (GBFS, MDS), and political/legal frameworks for data privacy (CCPA, CalECPA, GDPR, FTC).
- Experience of direct partnerships with government agencies, and facilitating complex and sensitive conversations as part of high-stakes relationships.