Spin operates electric scooters in cities and campuses nationwide, bringing sustainable last-mile mobility solutions to diverse communities. Recognized for its consistent cooperation and collaboration with cities, Spin partners closely with transportation planners, elected officials, community groups, and university administrators to bring stationless mobility options to streets in a responsible and carefully orchestrated manner.
Based in San Francisco, Spin is a diverse team of engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, lawyers and operators with experience from Y Combinator, Lyft, Uber, local and federal government, and the transportation advocacy world. Spin was known for launching the first stationless mobility program in Seattle, and has since expanded to become the exclusive electric scooter partner in mid-sized cities like Coral Gables, Florida and Lexington, Kentucky, and one of a few permitted scooter operators in large cities like Denver, Detroit, and Washington, D.C. The team embeds in cities and neighborhoods to understand their specific transportation needs, and hires locally from the community.
Spin is expanding quickly and looking for top-tier talent to help us bring affordable and accessible transportation options to cities and define what future safe streets will look like.
About the Role
Spin is in search of the most creative and experienced leaders. We are looking for someone that will build the future of mobility to connect users from origin to destination with the best transportation hardware. We embrace entrepreneurs as well as those who come from more established organizations. Hardware leaders are clearly characterized by progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility. You have also kept your technical skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment.
At Spin, Hardware is a specialized and cross functional team comprised of Research, Firmware, Mechanical, Electrical, Systems and Test Engineers. Hardware is responsible for building the best vehicle based on our current user needs and thinking outside the box to solve transportation problems for the future. The Hardware team collaborates with Manufacturing and Supply Chain team to create first in class transportation solutions for our customers.
Our team consists of people that are passionate about creating finely polished and intuitive experiences and, at the same time, obsess over performance and reliability of what we build. We challenge the status quo and strive towards finding the best way to solve problems.
We work in very small groups to keep processes and overhead low, so we have a lot of trust and accountability to perform the work required to build the best product.
- Be a highly technical Director leading hardware engineering teams in researching, defining, designing, testing, and delivering consumer hardware products
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Define and drive development of an aggressive technical roadmap to meet the needs of the team, and partner teams
- Operate in a rapidly evolving environment, adapting quickly to new information and re-prioritizing as needed
- Manage engineers and managers working to research, build, and deploy all hardware
- Own the process to build and maintain a well-oiled engineering team
- Partner closely with the Manufacturing and Supply Chain teams
- Be an effective people manager
- Help engineers and managers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles
- Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognize and promote excellent performance
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in hardware engineering, including 5+ years experience managing engineering teams
- Experience developing consumer hardware into mass-market consumer products, preferably vehicles
- Process oriented and results driven
- Experience in recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management and managing managers/engineers
- MS/PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or a related technical discipline
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Daily catered lunch in our SF office
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Commuter stipend plus pre-tax benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
-Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law.
Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.