SPINS Ventures builds high-octane software products which help companies reach their customers. We correlate data with precision to deliver insights and recommended actions no one else can provide.
As a dev ops engineer, you will play a pivotal role in leading our devops practices and systems into a posture where we are playing offense. This means that you are assisting the company leadership, including the CTO and senior engineers, in eliminating reactive and defensive processes and replacing them with proactive measures. This undertaking will enable us to throttle up our development velocity significantly, amplifying our product reach and speed to market and setting up the development team for success.
In addition to the typical duties of unblocking and accelerating developers use of our technical stack and infrastructure, the role will also require experience in infosec and hygiene. This means tackling CVEs, performing active vulnerability scans, intrusion detection, and reviewing security suite assessments and putting recommendations into action. Additionally, experience with systems hardening, working with white hats and bug bounty hunters, and understanding how to implement and monitor compliance with various best practices (i.e., NIST, SSAE, SOC and other governance frameworks). This is a very hands-on, demanding role. You will not only examine, assess, and define, you will also act, implement, and improve systems, processes and standards.
The candidate will be comfortable working with a distributed team, gathering details of their activities and helping everyone stay on top of the right priorities. They will be focused on finding solutions while embracing the challenges and never giving up. The candidate will have high standards for themselves and everyone they work with and will be constantly looking for ways to improve performance, quality and cost.
- Taking part in the building and maintenance of our cloud infrastructure, which includes services across multiple partners, but focused largely on Amazon AWS and Google Cloud Platform
- Automate various components of our cloud infrastructure to reduce development friction and improve maintenance and security
- Work alongside Ventures engineers to create scalable cloud infrastructure to power our products
- Maintain and expand CI/CD platforms and related tools
- Actively managing infosec posture, uncovering and actively managing and mitigating attack vectors and threats, while practicing and promoting proper hygiene throughout the development team
- Keep current with the pace of innovation at cloud providers like AWS and Google Cloud, putting their latest and greatest tools, applications and services into action so that we can also continue accelerating
- At least 5 years of working experience as DevOps engineer, ideally supporting an agile development process of a large-scale online application
- Strong hands-on experience with mainline programming and scripting languages such as Shell, Python, Ruby, Perl, Java, .Net, or C++.
- Hands-on experience with building and managing release systems, code merging and promotion, and CI/CD workflows and tools.
- Experience working with and delivering using Agile practices.
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience. BS in Computer Science, or commensurate industry experience, preferred
- Strong scripting capabilities (e.g. Bash, Python and/or Ruby)
- Vast knowledge and experience with Linux OS (system Administrator)
- Practical experience with AWS cloud computing service
- Strong capabilities with different monitoring tools and practices
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle and supporting tools.
- Understanding Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment processes and supporting tools
- Familiarity with web-based applications and microservice architecture -advantage
- Experience with Docker
- A Shell ninja, familiar with all the various tools (awk, sed, pipes, redirection, text processing)
- Great troubleshooting skills
- Self-motivated learner, quick to research and implement new technologies and tools
- A team player, independent, assertive and professional
- Experience with CloudFormation
- Knowledge of IP networking, VPN's, DNS, load balancing and firewall
- Experience with monitoring and log aggregating frameworks like CloudWatch, Datadog, Splunk, Opentracing, AWS X-Ray, and APM tools
- Experience with Git
- Management of continuous integration servers like Jenkins, Bamboo and TeamCity
- Experience with development and automated testing
- Understanding of microservices and distributed application architecture
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate core DevOps concepts (CI/CD, Agile & Automation)
What You Get:
- Competitive salary (DOE)
- 3+ weeks paid time off
- 401k Retirement matching
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Insurance Benefits
- Catered company lunch and unlimited snacks & beverages, coffee and Kombucha on tap
- Fast paced work environment with great people who love what they do