A Day in the Life
You will help change the landscape of the rocket launch industry and be an integral and unique part of a close-knit team of individuals operating in a high pace environment. As a Satellite Avionics Software Engineer you will be primarily responsible for design, development, integration, and operation of satellite flight software. Your work will expand upon the development of ruggedized launch vehicle and satellite hardware for SpinLaunch’s kinetic launch system. This is a full-time position located at our Long Beach, CA facility.
- Lay the foundations of the architecture you want to build
- Look into the future and design with long term goals
- Make your own mistakes, then fix them
- Build cool stuff, launch it, steer it around, break it, and iterate
- Proven experience in software or FPGA development
- Proven ability to take end-to-end ownership and responsibility of your projects
- Proven experience optimizing engineering processes and making engineering trade decisions between cost, schedule, risk, and capability
- A “that is my job” attitude
- Proven experience in both systems programming and hardware description languages
- Appreciation for semantic clarity and consistency
- Broad experience with Linux software development and system administration
- Experience defining software system architectures
- Experience with fault management and redundant systems
- Knowledge of network optimization, protocols, and topology trades
- Experience with real-time operating systems, particularly Linux and FreeRTOS
- Familiarity with hardware-in-the-loop testing, modelling, and simulation
- Experience building hardware
- Familiarity with laboratory test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and signal generators.
- Experience with FPGA/processor/microcontroller/system-on-chip/memory trades, sizing, selection
- Knowledge of control theory, 6-axis stabilized systems
- Familiarity with wireless communication
- Experience with space systems and orbitology, especially satellites or probes
- Experience with performance engineering for constrained systems, low-level languages
- Experience with designing for scalability, and knowing when not to
- Familiar with autonomous vehicle control systems (drones, cars, robots, etc.)
- Experience with vehicle operations (need not be space systems)
- Experience with version control/test coverage/continuous integration/regression testing
SpinLaunch is required by the U.S. Government to comply with various space technology export regulations including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident (“green card holder”) as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. More information on ITAR can be found here.
SpinLaunch is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Each individual has the right to work in a professional environment that promotes equal employment opportunity and prohibits discriminatory practices, including harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.