Speechify is the easiest way to listen to the world’s information. Articles on the web, documents in the cloud, books on your phone. We absorb it all and let you listen to it at your desk, on the go, at your own speed, and with tools that make learning easier, deeper, and faster.
What streaming services have done for audio entertainment, we’re doing for audio information. And whatever we’re doing seems to be working. We’re #1 in our category, and experiencing exponential growth.
As a core member of our Android team, you'll directly impact the lifeline of the business by building the foundation and supporting key features of our new Android app. This is a key role and ideal for someone who’s either worked at a startup and built apps from scratch, or someone parachuting out of a big company that wants to get deeply involved in building a new and feature rich product.
We are a fully remote international startup, so this is not a typical 9-5 job, but rather a very dynamic role. Among the things you are expected attend important meetings, and take complete responsibility as a directly responsible individual. We also expect you to be curious about possibilities, and endure an ability to accept criticism about your own work. We don't expect you to be perfect always but accept and acknowledge room for improvement whenever possible.
What You’ll Do
- Owning major features and working closely with our design team - take ownership of features inside the app and become responsible of delivering high quality features
- Shape the future of our Android team
- Own, maintain and improve reliability metrics for key features
- Participate in discussions across different teams - Product, Design, Engineering
- Review pull requests, and support other teammates
- Handle critical issues or cope with unexpected challenges
- Take ownership of feature releases and provide nightly builds for the QA team
An Ideal Candidate Should Have
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Familiarity with Android components
- Experience building or contributing to at least one Android app
- Product design intuition and user empathy
- Drive to push the boundaries of Android UI/UX
- Understanding of the importance of tests and how to approach writing tests
- Self-drive to improve the app and codebase above and beyond what's outlined in the spec
- Rock solid experience with Kotlin, Kotlin Coroutines, Kotlin Flow, Dagger 2, MVVM, Clean Architecture, Background Services, Music Player Service, Android Animations, Jetpack Navigation, JUnit tests
- Experience in Agile Software Development, we run 2 week sprints and do biweekly releases
- Excellent communication skills
- User oriented problem solving approach
- Driven with continuous feedback from leaders.
- Experience building, maintaining, or otherwise contributing to open source projects in Android
- Experience with iOS, Web or NodeJS
Technologies we use:
- Kotlin Coroutines
- Kotlin Flow
- Jetpack Navigation
- Dagger 2
- Custom Views, Canvas & Paint
- Jetpack Compose
What We offer:
- A fast-growing environment where you can help shape the company and product.
- An entrepreneurial-minded team that supports risk, intuition, and hustle.
- A hands-off management approach so you can focus and do your best work.
- An opportunity to make a big impact in a transformative industry.
- Competitive salaries, a friendly and laid-back atmosphere, and a commitment to building a great asynchronous culture.
- Opportunity to work on a life-changing product that millions of people use.
- Build products that directly impact and support people with learning differences like dyslexia, ADD, low vision, concussions, autism, and more.
- Work in one of the fastest growing sectors of tech, the intersection of artificial intelligence and audio.
Think you’re a good fit for this job?
Tell us more about yourself and why you're interested in the role when you apply.
And don’t forget to include links to your portfolio and LinkedIn.
Not looking but know someone who would make a great fit?
Speechify is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Speechify does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.