Specialized seeks a highly-motivated IP Coordinating Counsel with first-hand experience managing the intellectual property needs of a global company. This role will provide strategic advice regarding opportunities for product innovation and direction, and create the legal structures to help establish legal rights to the company’s valuable intellectual property.
- Coordinate the overall intellectual property effort, providing expertise and advice that enables the business to grow
- Strategically mange the patent and trademark portfolios globally
- Efficiently manage the company’s patent and trademark prosecution effort
- Analyze and provide advice regarding patentability and patent freedom-to-operate searches
- Draft or review a range of commercial agreements, including third party supply contracts, technology development agreements, confidentiality agreements, and other commercial agreements implicating intellectual property rights
- Lead the intellectual property effort with respect to acquisitions
- Manage inside and outside counsel engaged in the intellectual property effort
- Train internal customers and teammates on intellectual property policy, procedure, and risk management
- 7 to 10 years of relevant legal experience as an attorney with an emphasis in intellectual property on a global scale.
- JD from a top U.S. Law School having graduated in the top 25% of class
- Bachelors or advanced degree in engineering or a science-related field.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills as well as good judgment. Must be detail-oriented, a quick learner, and able to set and juggle priorities while handling multiple tasks simultaneously. Also must be independent, proactive, and self-motivated to perform duties with a high level of professionalism and minimal supervision
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills, with an eye for detail
- Capacity to cultivate strong client relationships and successfully influence leadership in a fast-paced, innovative business climate
- Ability to drive legal strategies for the company and independently initiate new assignments and identify ways to improve process and operations
- Ability to practice law in California
- Must be able to travel internationally
- Experience in international intellectual property law is preferred.
First and foremost, we are riders. We share the core belief that bikes help make the world a better place. From product development and operations, to finance and marketing - every role at Specialized contributes to a culture of sustainable, global growth and innovation. Around the world, we work to recruit candidates who are passionate and curious with the belief that everyone has the potential to be a leader.