The Specialized Turbo e-Bike Product team is seeking an experienced Senior Test Development Engineer to focus on development support and validation of electric drive units. In this role, you will work in close partnership with our R&D teams to assess and optimize drive unit performance, and our Quality engineers to execute smoke testing as well as full validation testing. In some cases, you will also develop custom methods to understand and solve drive performance issues with riders in the field.
Our ideal candidate has experience developing, tuning, and operating a motor dyno and associated systems. You also have experience working with data science and analytics teams to create physical simulation models that reflect real use cases. You are an expert with data acquisition and control systems, ideally with experience in CAN communication and expertise in Python scripting. You are curious, collaborative, and excited to work in a fast-paced environment to rapidly deliver new and creative solutions.
The home base of this role will be our Turbo Innovation Center in Cham (ZG), Switzerland, to be started immediately or upon agreement.
How you'll make a difference
- Drive Unit Dyno/Test Bench Tuning and Operation
- Own our motor test dyno/test bench system, optimize its performance, and customize it to meet Specialized business requirements. This includes writing scripts to run the test equipment and to analyze large data sets. Experience in Python is preferred but other platforms (e.g., MatLab, NI) can be considered
- Maintain and oversee calibration, ongoing performance, and continuous improvement of the system
- Plan/propose a roadmap for future technical capabilities in the test lab
- Methods and Standards Development
- In partnership with other Engineering leaders in the Turbo team, create in-house standards for performance and reliability of drive units
- In partnership with our California-based test team, drive continuous improvement to test tracking systems and data management
- Engage with outside industry resources on the state of the art regarding the development and standards of test methods
- Test Operations
- Plan, execute, and document results
- Partner with Product and Quality leadership to estimate complexity and prioritize test projects
- Embrace a culture of Quality and a “Right First Time” mindset within your work. Maintain an organized and efficient workspace
What you need to win
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in Electrical, Mechanical, or Systems Engineering – or related technical disciplines
- 10+ years of work experience, with specific experience in energy or drive systems dyno testing
- Test execution for mechatronic and electromechanical systems – automotive, aerospace or robotics experience preferred
- Significant experience developing novel test methods based on data acquisition. Experience building and operating data acquisition systems is a plus
- Systems engineering and control systems experience. Familiarity with CAN bus protocols is preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communication in English. Fluency in German is a plus.
- Learner who doesn’t have all the answers but is open and willing to learn, grow, and customize and adopt approach for the bicycle industry. Ready to work in an innovative and fast-paced environment for the best bike brand in the world
- Passion for cycling, e-bikes, and/or an outdoor active lifestyle
What we offer: We are a dynamic and multicultural team within an innovative and growing environment. You can look forward to a modern working space, lunch rides, social security- and many other benefits.
You are interested? We look forward to receiving your compelling application stating your salary expectation and earliest starting date. Please submit your application exclusively via our online career portal. Applications via e-mail, mail or employment agencies will not be considered.
Specialized Europe GmbH - Human Resources - Werkstattgasse 10 - CH-6330 Cham
First and foremost, we are riders. We share the core belief that bikes help make the world a better place. From product development and operations, to finance and marketing - every role at Specialized contributes to a culture of sustainable, global growth and innovation.
We want to increase representation of all races, genders, and body types in the cycling industry and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where all people thrive. We encourage everyone – especially those from marginalized groups – to apply to our job postings and help us earn the position as the rider’s brand of choice. We are always looking for creative, innovative, and passionate people who are eager to contribute to our mission of pedaling the planet forward.