POSITION: Manufacturing Engineer, Composites
REPORTS TO: China Composites Engineering Manager
Job Location: Tianjin, China
As the Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for leading the development process of composite projects and driving continuous improvement at our composite suppliers to bring products successfully to production. In this role, you will work directly with Design and Quality Engineers in the USA, Taiwan, and China to ensure project goals are met and delivered on time.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Maintain engineering documentation and CAD data using best practices in product life management system.
- Modify and update 3D models and create 2D drawings using GD&T.
- Ensure manufacturing development documentation, 2D, and 3D is up-to-date and in the appropriate lifecycle at each stage of development.
- Document layup work instructions and ensure there is a clear relationship to test samples.
- Document potential development and production risks prior to opening tooling and ensure responsible persons are informed. Provide alternative solutions.
- Review tooling 3D and feedback issues to supplier to ensure parts are manufactured according to approved part 3D & 2D drawings and inspection plans. Curing molds must be reviewed to ensure they will produce stable parts over the lifetime of the product.
- Work with the Quality Team through pilot and production readiness reviews to ensure a stable and transparent transition from development to production is achieved.
- Translate analysis layups into work instructions and vice-versa using Laminate Tools and Hyperworks software.
- Improve layup work instruction formats for more robust manufacturing.
- Interpret analysis results and collaborate with supplier and SBC engineers to make layup change suggestions.
- Create and modify laminates, ply shapes and detailed work instructions to achieve performance, strength and quality goals.
- Review supplier 2D drawings to ensure dimension scheme show critical dimensions of our final design.
- Plan and track development schedules for tooling, sample making, internal and external lab testing, field test samples to ensure they are on time.
- Work with Design Engineer to develop a testing plan and ensure samples are delivered to pre-determined testing locations on time.
- Analyze testing results to determine failure root-causes and provide suggestions for improvement.
- Solve manufacturing issues including molding quality, machining and fixture issues before pilot start. All issues should be maintained and updated in the Issues Tracking Document for the project.
- Review and approve all inspection gauge design before pilot run start.
- Before pilot run approval, create the molding quality standard document. If required, also create the machining quality standard.
- For production approval, review with manager all manufacturing NPI requirements have been completed and perform final sign off of NPI tracking document. This includes reviewing as necessary all sub-documentation for FAI, molding documents etc.
- Support small parts development projects, including drawing creation, FAI, and timelines.
- As needed support Quality team with any production issues.
- Report progress regularly to Engineering Manager and global teams over VC.
- Document meeting notes and agreements with suppliers to ensure all issues are captured and followed up.
- Work with Composites Engineering Manager to identify supplier improvement areas, develop action plans, and track progress in control documents.
- Provide regular status reports to Design, R&D and Composite teams in USA and Asia.
- Investigate new technologies and processes that align with company goals.
- Carry out assigned development and production improvements to enable higher performance products, more robust quality, and shorter lead times.
- Research industry best practices, prioritize and implement relevant new processes.
- Collaborate with factory to develop and implement solutions for process improvement.
- Provide periodic updates on competitive factories in Asia.
- Find new supply sources, materials &/or technologies for our products.
- Create plans to build up capabilities of potential new suppliers in collaboration with engineering leadership.
what you’ll need to win
- College degree in technical subjects (B.S. in engineering or manufacturing).
- Minimum 5 years of composite manufacturing experience, including:
- Layup design.
- Understanding of mandrel and tooling design.
- Experience in preforming, molding, and machining of composites.
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot strength, performance, manufacturing, and molding quality problems.
- Minimum 1 year of engineering project management.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings and use of measuring instruments.
- Proficient computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Creo/Proe and AutoCAD.
- Experience with Agile PLM, Hyperworks or Laminate Tools is an asset.
- Communication in English and Mandarin Chinese in both verbal and written.
- Ability to travel to USA and throughout Asia, as needed.