Are you ready to combine your passion for an active lifestyle with a meaningful and multifaceted career in the cycling industry? At Specialized, our teammates are encouraged to explore roles in a variety of functions throughout their careers. We value curiosity, a desire to try new things, and an eagerness to learn about all aspects of the business. No matter where you begin with the company, you get to decide where you want to go whether it’s marketing, finance, product development, sales, or an international assignment. Join us in making the world a better place through the power of bicycles and build your dream career at the same time!
Love to create and explore. Specialized is looking for a passionate and curious person to join the Apparel Team to help take our Materials to the next level. The primary responsibility of the Materials Developer is execution and successful commercialization of innovative and functional materials. The developer would have individual responsibility to coordinate, monitor, track and communicate development projects to counterparts through the complete development cycle, and ensure developments are in alignment and support Business/Brand initiatives. They will provide support in all aspects of material sourcing, development, testing, and tracking in addition to being a resource for designers, developers, and production. They are a self-motivated team player, a critical thinker, and problem solver with a can-do attitude who thrives in a fast-paced work environment.
HOW YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Research and develop new fabric concepts and technologies and propose ideas according to trend and business needs.
- Work with Design and PM to deliver the design brief with recommendations for future opportunities and solutions to current fabric needs
- Develop new textile ideas while maintaining and revitalizing existing fore fabrics while creating an innovation pipeline for white space future development
- Supervise & manage fabric development and ensure you are developing into assortment costing parameters, building strong supplier relations. Communicate with vendors daily, on costing and development needs from both a fabric and product development role.
- Work closely with design, development, and production to ensure product execution surrounding all aspects of the garment; follow up with vendors regarding lab dip requests, strike offs and tracking to ensure the production calendar deliverables are met
- Lead R&D on future technologies in sustainability
- Lead testing certification and compliance on all Materials and Trims
- Build and maintain accurate development data with complete material information/Quality Standards/pricing/minimums/lead-times.
- Collaborate and assist the Asia Team on all Material development
WHAT YOU NEED TO WIN
- Critical thinking & analytical skills
- Ability to Interpret internal or external business issues and recommends best practices
- Present facts/solutions clearly, with category & consumer in mind, so team can make informed decisions
- Solves complex problems; takes a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions
- Works independently, with guidance in only the most complex situations
- Understanding of industry wide sustainability initiatives, trade regulations, testing protocol, product integrity requirements, product cycle timeline and basic production process.
- Knowledge of material types, including fibers, yarn & textile construction & application; components or trims & application, testing, dyeing, finishing, manufacturing or other textile fundamentals
- Understanding of design and development process from inception through production
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Textile Science, Textile Development, or a related degree from an accredited University or College. A candidate will be considered without a degree if the industry experience demonstrates 8+ years of technical experience in Raw Materials.
- 8+ years of textile or apparel industry experience.
- Communication (verbal & written) and organizational skills along with the capacity to learn quickly are needed.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Product Line Management (PLM) software.
- Ability to work with well with others, actively listen, ask relevant questions, and take action effectively
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Passion for the cycling and outdoor recreation.
- Travel up to 30%. Travel as needed (domestic and international) for material development, material sourcing, trade shows and sales meetings.
First and foremost, we are riders. We share the core belief that bikes help make the world a better place. From product development and operations, to finance and marketing - every role at Specialized contributes to a culture of sustainable, global growth, and innovation.
Around the world, we work to recruit candidates who are passionate and curious with the belief that everyone has the potential to be a leader.
We want to increase representation of all races, genders, and body types in the cycling industry and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where all people thrive. We encourage everyone – especially those from marginalized groups – to apply to our job postings and help us earn the position as the rider’s brand of choice. We are always looking for creative, innovative, and passionate people who are eager to contribute to our mission of pedaling the planet forward. Regardless of your qualifications, if you are ready to make a difference, please apply and let us know how you can make an impact at Specialized!