Product lover who’s an aficionado at detail and organization
Are you a highly organized person who loves working with product? Do you like to problem solve? Specialized is looking for a passionate, curious, and positive person to join the Helmet team and help take our design and development process to the next level. We’re looking for a highly detailed member to contribute to development, prototyping and product innovation; someone who is always searching for a better way to make product.
HOW YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Prototyping: Take concepts from sketches into testable prototypes. Work with designers and test technician to explore new materials, processes and technologies.
- Coordination with factories: Communicate with factories regarding product development, project tracking and tooling changes. Work with factory to ensure accuracy prior to production tooling.
- On-time delivery: Own your part of the process and deliver quality work on time. Keep a close eye on multiple projects, tracking at different launch seasons.
- Coordinate and lead 3D prototyping: Work with industry-leading technology to take 3D models, to 3D printed products. Print, setup and test parts during research and development process.
- Development to production: Work through technical challenges that arise in commercialization. Work closely with the factory to find innovative and effective solutions to get product to market on time.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams of product engineers and manufacturers to bring new concepts to market.
- Provide R&D and testing of components.
- Partner with Director of Product Creation to continuously monitor and report on the status of critical deliverable, drive on-time execution, and effectively escalate issues when necessary
- Ensure product success by managing specs of new development, establishing SOP’s, and performing competitive analysis.
- Support internal product teams and manufacturing partners in daily miscellaneous activities such as R&D, component testing, root cause analysis, parts qualifications.
- Own vendor Impact testing
- Manage development projects from concept through production – including the design and engineering, prototyping, testing and verification, production tooling, documentation and QA/QC.
- Project Management responsibility. Manage multiple development projects simultaneously – create and maintain project timelines to assure on-time delivery of finished products, maintain tracking documents and report on progress as needed.
- Act as primary factory liaison on helmet development projects for correspondence and expediting throughout the development process.
- Provide guidance and direction to suppliers - facilitating the development and initial production to assure on time delivery of new products.
- Participate in brainstorming and idea generation, create sketches, models and drawings to demonstrate ideas and concepts.
- Design prototypes and models to demonstrate designs and mechanical features or concepts. Test and evaluate models and prototypes for performance and practicality in manufacturing.
- Determine and implement corrective action plans for improvements and refinements based on rider/dealer feedback, quality problems and returns.
WHAT YOU NEED TO WIN
- Ability to mock up prototypes and test using problem solving skills and on-hands experience.
- Ability to work with 3D modeling and scanning software, 3D printing software and machinery.
- Understanding of foams, composites and plastics; both for production projects and in prototyping.
- Ability to work in ultra-fast paced environment, think on your feet, make decisions confidently and deliver excellence.
- Incredible listening skills.
- 5+ years experience in product development. Helmet experience preferred. BS in Engineering preferred.
- A deep understanding and knowledge of manufacturing for foam, plastics and composites; mechanics of materials.
- Excellent communication skills, including with international manufacturers.
- Model-making a plus.
- Travel and off-hours are required.