At Sparrow Ventures, improving people’s quality of life through innovation and working together with colleagues who love what they do is what gets us up every morning.
As a venture builder and growth equity investor, it is our people, our unique culture and way of working that unites us in growing ideas into companies and investing in promising startups. As the innovation engine of the Migros Group, we focus on the most relevant trends and disruptions for the business community and society at large within the fields of eCommerce, LogisticsTech, Digital Health FinTech, and Happiness, Community & Lifestyle.
Both idealistic and pragmatic, we Sparrows are passionate and execution-driven entrepreneurs who are striving to make an impact. In our daily work, we love to tackle challenges, value collaboration and speed in execution and create an environment where no day is the same.
What to expect as a React Frontend Engineer
At Sparrows you will have the chance to work on very different ventures and technologies. Our startup-mindset favours speed and practical solutions, which proved a great learning experience for every engineer.
As a React Frontend Engineer you will be part of our newly created technology team and have a strong impact by helping build the technology around several new startups per year from the ground up. Your areas of responsibility include:
- You work directly with our Venture teams, where we are creating technologies for new Ventures (Startups) from scratch
- You work with our UX designer and create dynamic frontends - eventually you have the chance to work on backends based on NodeJs or NodeCode solutions like bubble.io as well
- You figure out what technical solutions might fit for an MVP and experiment with the adaption of new frameworks and solutions
- You are able to align interaction and usability design with practicality of the implementation of a solution - to get best results for the Venture in terms of quality and speed of execution
Your areas of responsibility include
- In-depth knowledge and experience with react framework, experiences with tools & frameworks like nextjs, gatsby, tools including React.js, Redux, Flux, or Webpack
- Knowledge of how to work with designs coming from Figma or tools like invision
- You can present your portfolio of web or mobile applications
- Experience in setup, administration and operation of lifecycle, build and automation tools such as Github, Gitlab or Jenkins, Docker and Kubernetes in conjunction with AWS, GCP, Azure or Openshift
- Fluency in Scripting - Shell or Ruby, Golang or Python is a plus
- You know how to draft and implement environments for our Ventures from scratch, considering scalability, load-balancing, firewalling, managing certificates and DNS, reverse & forward proxies with e.g. nginx
- Knowledge about Security in a cloud environment and basic Authentication concepts like oAuth2 and you are able to assess and to act upon vulnerabilities
- Readiness to work directly with engineers when creating practical solutions for our Ventures but also working and managing a more structured and transparent environment with Jira
Based in the heart of Zurich, we have a flexible working culture topped up with regular team events and lunches.
We foster a no bullshit, down to earth, yet high caliber work environment where the best argument counts. Being highly dynamic and results driven, we have a “move fast and break things” culture, here for the fame and glory of what we have built. Most importantly, we have fun on the way.
Applications that have been submitted by email or private messages can’t be considered. For any specific questions on our openings, please contact us via the contact form on our webpage. Please note, we do not work with recruitment agencies. Any unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered.
Sparrow Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. For more information, please refer to our EO Policy on our careers page.