SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. NETWORK SOFTWARE ENGINEER, IP ROUTING (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
Building a network with the ambition of Starlink requires the best minds in the networking and network software industry. As an engineer focused on Starlink’s network there are a variety of areas you can impact, at all levels of the software stack. From implementing low level network protocols, to packet routing and our network control plane software, Starlink will provide plenty of areas for you to own and improve key features for the program.
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems for our low latency, high capacity satellite-based global software defined network.
- Design and implement highly available, fault-tolerant network solutions that operate for long periods of time with minimal maintenance at scale.
- Design, develop and support SpaceX network switching platform.
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints.
- Write high quality Linux based software for common processors such as ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or STEM discipline and 5+ years of professional experience in software development; Or 7+ years of professional experience in software development in lieu of a degree.
- 5+ years of professional development experience in C/C++.
- 3+ years of professional experience with Open Network Operating systems and open source routing stack.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with Sonic (Open Network Operating System) and FRR (Open Source routing stack).
- Strong experience with technologies such as TCP/IPv4/IPv6, BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, MPLS, traffic engineering, switching ASICs, etc.
- Experience with writing ASIC drivers for network operating systems, is a plus.
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in real world applications/projects.
- Thorough knowledge of systems, software development, networks, electronics, math and physics.
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Experience with designing, developing and operating SDN based networks is a plus.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Software Engineer/Senior: $170,000.00 - $230,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.