SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
INTEGRATION AND TEST ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
As an Integration and Test Engineer on the Starship team, you will be responsible for all initial system testing of the Starship Vehicle. Your challenges will be to develop the procedures and tools to test all integrated vehicle assemblies and verify vehicle health before it leaves to the pad; ensure that the individual assembly areas are able to execute checkouts seamlessly and with minimal overhead; and accelerate all aspects of vehicle factory operations to enable our rapid production and launch cadence goals. You will be tasked as an expert in ground/test software, test equipment (propulsion and avionics), integrated testing of vehicle high pressure and avionics systems, and will be a technical resource for all applicable Starship build engineers, specialists, and technicians.
- Develop deep understanding of vehicle avionics/propulsion architecture, and how the vehicle operates as an integrated system
- Establish test criteria and pass/fail requirements for integrated vehicle checkouts
- Develop procedures and processes for validation of a rapidly evolving spacecraft
- Identify and drive improvements to testing efficiency and safety of vehicle testing
- Troubleshoot hardware issues real-time, and push feedback to correct owners to eliminate repeat issues
- Interface with design, build, and systems engineering as well as production leadership and technicians in the field
- Develop and lead training efforts to build test execution capability within production and outside engineering teams
- Build requirements and provide feedback for large scope GSE projects needed to enable checkouts execution and achieve production rate
- Develop the Starship production line, and provide feedback to Starship design to maximize efficiency and minimize cost/ton to orbit
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of hands-on engineering experience (design teams and previous internships qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proven experience in streamlining test operations by challenging requirements and eliminating process waste
- Systems engineering experience, ability to understand multi-disciplinary integrated systems
- Experience creating, reading, and interpreting electrical and fluid schematics
- Experience with integration and testing of propulsion and/or electrical systems
- Experience in planning and execution of complex test operations
- Experience developing test software, automation
- Experience in test equipment design and operation
- Experience writing test plans, procedures and providing go/no-go judgment and rationale
- Familiarity with software development in Rust, Python, or other languages
- Must be willing to travel to our launch sites in support of build out activities and launches; travel requirement is up to 15%
- Must pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Must be able to work all shifts, extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Integration and Test Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Integration and Test Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.