SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (STARLINK)
SpaceX is developing a low latency, broadband internet system to meet the needs of consumers across the globe. Enabled by a constellation of low Earth orbit satellites, Starlink will provide fast, reliable internet to populations with little or no connectivity, including those in rural communities and places where existing services are too expensive or unreliable. We are looking for talented, creative, and driven manufacturing engineers to drive manufacturing tools and processes, from initial concept development to full scale production, and will interact regularly with senior leadership during critical design phases. You will own the relationship between the engineering development and production teams. The success of Starlink depends on the quality, reliability, cost, manufacturability, throughput, security, and user experience of the products that you deliver.
If you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment; if you thrive on solving difficult problems where resolutions have high impact; if you love managing through persuasion and if you love the challenge of building something from scratch, then this role will be an ideal next career step.
- Design and implement electro-mechanical assembly and test processes
- Collaborate with the mechanical design team to incorporate design for manufacturability
- Lead prototype builds ensuring incremental milestones for the production development are met
- Ensure manufacturing systems are capable of hitting high volume rate, cost and quality targets
- Lead facilities development, floor layout, headcount requirements and material flow definition
- Identify tooling and hardware requirements, design and implement into production processes
- Identify automation opportunities and establish requirements as well as evaluating return on investment for each. Work with in-house resources or vendors as necessary to develop these solutions and implement on production line
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment via professional work experience, project/research-based student experience, or a combination of both
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated experience working in a highly adaptive and iterative environment
- Proven excellence in a high volume commercial or automotive manufacturing environment
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing and scaling to high volume as part of a cross-functional team
- Experience with DOE, gage R&R and process qualifications
- Experience defining production data requirements and SPC
- Ability to design tooling for high volume manufacturing
- Demonstrated experience implementing automation into production processes
- Experience integrating electromechanical or lamination assemblies with both manual and automated processes
- Ability to develop and maintain high performing suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience with NX and Teamcenter
- Experience working with and defining requirements for ERP, MRP and MES systems
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Able to travel for business trips as needed (up to 70%) to Hawthorne, CA for initial training (3-4 months) and up to 10% on an ongoing basis
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manufacturing Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Manufacturing Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.