SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY ENGINEER
As part of a small, hardworking team of technicians and engineers, you will provide technical expertise and assist in implementation of all Environmental, Health and Safety programs at the Rocket Development & Test Site in McGregor, Texas. The ideal candidate is highly skilled with both environmental and occupational safety fields, hands-on, and works well in a fast-paced environment. We work as a highly integrated team and job responsibilities will include helping other programs to ensure the overall success of SpaceX.
- Work closely with test engineers and technician teams to perform detailed safety reviews of complex hazardous operations to ensure safe execution
- Lead or assist in all aspects of incident investigations including initial follow-up, root cause analysis, and corrective action development and closure
- Develop and maintain compliance with all applicable regulations and/or guidelines established by OSHA, NFPA, and NIOSH and other applicable regulatory agencies
- Collaborate with department leadership to complete job hazard assessments and implement health and safety policies and procedures
- Implement and develop Safety and Health programs including but not limited to:
- OSHA General Industry and Construction standards
- HAZCOM, Hazmat, cryogenics, compressed gases
- Confined Space, Fall Protection and Lock-Out/Tag-Out
- Radiation and Laser Safety
- Implement and develop Environmental programs including but not limited to:
- SPCC & SWPPP
- Title V Air Permitting
- LQG Hazardous Waste Management
- Develop safety solutions that to resolve EHS hazards/ concerns within cost and schedule constraints following a safety order of precedence to include elimination, substitution, engineering controls, work practice controls, training, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to ensure that safety of personnel, property, and the environment are within acceptable risk boundaries
- Monitor employee exposure to physical and chemical hazards
- Inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment in order to identify and correct potential hazards and ensure compliance with all applicable regulations
- Develop, implement and maintain safety contingency plans (fires, spills, etc.)
- Develop and maintain compliance with all applicable regulations established by the EPA, CERCLA, RCRA, DOT, ATF, TCEQ, TRRC and other applicable regulatory agencies
- Perform environmental compliance and due diligence audits to ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience in the design, development and general operational oversight of environmental, health and safety disciplines
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with an emphasis in occupational health and safety and/or environmental engineering
- Demonstrated ability to research and apply the best industrial and working practices to provide effective services
- Knowledge of Process Safety Management methods, pressure systems, and chemical delivery systems
- Strong knowledge and experience in interpreting, applying and documenting federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations
- Experience with emergency response communication and incident management in incidents involving hazardous and non-hazardous material releases to air, soil, and water
- Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
EHS Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
EHS Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.