SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
GENERAL MANAGER FOR TELECOMMUNICATIONS FACILITIES, JAPAN
Starlink, our revolutionary satellite constellation, will deliver low-latency broadband internet worldwide. We are currently expanding on foundational contracts with our international partners related to both fixed and mobility services. We are looking for a General Manager to support our Starlink network infrastructure across Japan. In this role you will be a critical member responsible for making important business operations and facilities decisions that support Starlink’s ability to operate in Japan.
- Participate in important decisions on business operations related to facilities management, capital investment, and management or operation of equipment needed for the telecommunications business by Starlink Japan.
- Understand technical architecture from a national and reliability perspective (Telecommunications Business Act, Radio Act, and the role of the “General Manager for Telecommunications Facilities” as stipulated in the Telecommunications Business Act, etc.).
- Be the single point of contact for local government and customers.
- Own customer issued solicitation responses, including setting strategy, schedule, any external teaming, required analysis, ensuring technical compliance, etc.
- Gather, retain, and service diverse customer requirements and work with the product engineering team to iterate on and improve SpaceX offerings to meet the needs of customers. Additionally, shape customer opportunities to fit Starlink product offerings.
- Will be responsible for partnering with the Minister of Internal Affairs and Communications, while ensuring we adhere to the administrative regulations of the telecommunications business act.
- Responsible for technical problem solving and immediate command of recovery in the event of a serious failure in the telecommunications service provided.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field.
- 3+ years of experience in equipment design, construction, and/or operation.
- 5+ years of experience as a facilities manager, business operations manager, technical director, or in a leadership/advisor role.
- Fluency in Japanese.
- Current residency in and authorization to work in Japan.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree.
- 5+ years’ experience in a senior technical role managing a facility at a telecommunications company or as an independent consultant.
- Ability to identify blockers and to overcome them.
- Strong understanding of satellite communication technologies and terrestrial network.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude for the products you have supported.
- Strong analytical skills in business and technical issues.
- SpaceX does not yet have regional offices in all regions of the world. Dependent on candidate identified, this role may not work from a SpaceX office.
- Willingness to travel, up to 50% of the time.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.