SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SpaceX is expanding the world’s human spaceflight capability and revolutionizing human spaceflight operations. The Space Medicine team is responsible for developing the concept of operations, medical system, research and monitoring protocols, and technology necessary to ensure the safety and health of the crewmembers that fly on SpaceX missions. As a crew physician, you will be responsible for direct care to astronauts and passengers before, during, and after their mission. You will work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team of engineers, specialists, and directly with customers to develop medical capabilities and execute missions. SpaceX is looking for excellent, team-oriented doctors who have clinical experience, a passion for space, and a demonstrated interest in human spaceflight.
- Serve as a point of contact with customers and crew flying on SpaceX missions
- Work across teams to design, integrate, and implement a medical system of the future
- Support research including health data collection before, during, and after human spaceflight missions focusing on effects long-duration spaceflight within the context of a widening range of passenger health issues
- Serve as the aerospace medicine technical expert for human spaceflight activities
- Develop and coordinate space medicine flight operations with technical, operations, and programmatic parties
- Execute the pre-launch and inflight disease prevention
- Prepare and execute crew mission recovery operations
- Provide medical support during flight operations as a console operator
- Maintain clinical currency through regular practice in a clinical environment
- Complete flight surgeon training through formal pathway if not completed already
- Doctor of Medicine or of Osteopathic Medicine
- Active state medical license
- Continuous application of clinical knowledge over the past 2 years in area of medical specialty such as residency or hospital based practice
- Prior academic or professional experience with aerospace medicine
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of residency training
- Formal aerospace medicine training such as residency or fellowship
- Technical knowledge of spacecraft systems and operations (e.g. hyperbarics, high altitude, wilderness medicine, and life support systems)
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, while meeting aggressive deadlines
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, as well as technical writing proficiency
- Research experience using human subjects, preferably in a space analog setting
- Schedule flexibility is mandatory; long hours, remote site and weekend work may be necessary in support of mission operations and other team critical deliverables
- Position is subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.