SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
EMBEDDED SOFTWARE ENGINEER (PHASED ARRAY DEVELOPMENT)
SpaceX is looking for an engineer with a background in both electrical engineering and software development for its Redmond, WA office on the Starlink project. The ideal candidate will have real-world experience in test automation, an interest in hardware development, and a great ability to function with multi-disciplinary teams. You will be part of a multidisciplinary team focused on designing new measurement systems within a larger group responsible for creating all elements of a new high performance wireless digital communication systems.
As a software engineer on the phased array team, you will develop software to control and test phased array systems. This work encompasses low-level hardware control software and system level software that includes interaction with multi systems. You will also develop tools for team members to efficiently collect, analyze, and maintain data from test systems. The software developed will support testing of phased array systems critical to the success of the Starlink system.
- Coordinate testing of flight hardware in collaboration with phased array antenna engineers
- Design and build automated measurement systems, including both hardware and software design, that interact with both in house flight hardware and external test equipment
- Collaborate with the phased array engineers to create methods to test systems faster and more accurately
- Analyze collected data and collaborate with team members to understand system performance and help resolve design issues
- Create documentation and operating procedures for common experiments
- Develop software to be used team-wide to help organize, categorize, and store data across multiple product lines
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or physics
- 2+ years of experience in any of the following languages: C, C++, Python, MATLAB
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with revision control tools (e.g. Git or SVN)
- Strong competency in software development practices including testing and continuous integration
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills (both software and hardware)
- Experience with phased array antenna systems and/or embedded systems
- Experience with Python or MATLAB for data analysis and/or basic digital signal processing concepts
- Experience with radio-related test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, vector signal analyzers, vector signal generators, and network analyzers
- Knowledge of statistical concepts and techniques
- Experience with data management, analysis, and presentation techniques
- Strong communication skills and ability to work well within a fast-paced team
- Fluency with Linux
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.