SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
GATEWAY GROUND STATION TECHNICIAN (STARLINK)
The successful applicant will be involved with many aspects of the installation, testing, and maintenance of satellite ground station antennas. This will involve mechanical, electrical, RF, optical and copper cable and harness fabrication, equipment logistics, and working with subcontractors. Frequent travel will be required to the remote ground stations, both domestically and internationally.
- Build, fix, and maintain ground segment hardware and equipment as part of a close-knit team of exceptional ground segment hardware and software engineers, specialists, and technicians
- Configure, operate and maintain satellite ground station antennas and subsystems
- Test prime and redundancy equipment on a regular basis, and maintain logs and sufficient spares
- Perform real-time remote and onsite troubleshooting and maintenance for ground system malfunctions and quickly return mission-critical systems to service
- Execute and maintain procedures required for building and configuring ground segment operation, ground terminal operations, including all support functions necessary to meet requirements
- Interface with external partners (private and government) to install and maintain ground-to-space and ground-to-ground communication systems
- 3+ years of experience working with fiber optics; network and telephony installation; and/or AV installation, test, troubleshooting, and repair
- 3+ years of experience as a mechanic or technician
- 2+ years of hands-on communications related experience, including maintaining a ground station or tower site, using standard design methodologies, constructing communication systems and testing systems on-site and in real-time
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to read, understand, and follow electrical/mechanical drawings & schematics
- Experience with cable and harness building and repair
- Experience with low earth orbit tracking antennas, stabilized, or VSAT antennas
- Experience designing & constructing IT racks (UPS, PDUs, cable management, servers, network devices)
- Experience with facilities and related infrastructure construction and maintenance
- Knowledgeable in information technology systems, including PC-based computers, data servers, network equipment, and IP networks.
- Marine & harsh-environment experience
- Knowledge of network standards and configuration (TCP/IP, SNMP, serial communications)
- Sound knowledge of computer skills: MS Office, Visio, and Web applications
- Knowledge of industry standards (BICSI, NEC, TIA/EIA); different types of fiber (MM, SM) for interior and exterior usage; Cat5E, Cat6 and Cat6A data cabling; and cable pathways, such as conduit, fire penetrations and cable trays
- Experience operating articulating boom lifts; forklifts, scissor lifts, and other work site machinery
- Experience with low voltage AC & DC power distribution
- Operational knowledge of network analyzers and signal generators, oscilloscopes and multi-meters, soldering wires and connectors, various crimping tools, wire stripping techniques, Ohm’s Law, continuity testing, pinning out a military type connector, routing and tie wrapping cables, drilling and tapping holes, and building junction boxes
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Meticulous attention to detail, standards, and documentation
- Must be able to distinguish between different colors and possess manual dexterity to complete fine motor tasks
- Ability to travel as required; travel will be approximately 50-75% of the time to US or international ground station sites
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.