SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
NETWORK AUTOMATION ENGINEER (STARLINK)
One of the most ambitious missions that SpaceX has undertaken to date, the Starlink satellite constellation is our solution to providing reliable, low latency, high bandwidth internet to the entire world. We are looking for eager Network Automation Engineers to help build and operate a network with millions of users on a global scale. You will be part of a small team with significant impact on the service delivered to our customers around the world.
- Deploy, upgrade, operate/maintain, and scale a global internet service to millions of users
- Closely collaborate with Software Engineers to create highly operable and maintainable infrastructure
- Measure, maintain, and improve the uptime and performance of the terrestrial network
- Act as technical product owner for infrastructure tools and software used in the Network Operations Center
- Innovate ways to scale with automation and operational improvements
- Assist in negotiating technical aspects of supplier and service provider contracts
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers
- 2+ years of Network Automation, DevOps, Network Engineering, or Site Reliability Engineering experience
- Experience with modern networking protocols, their application and traffic types: TCP/IPv4/IPv6, gaming, voice, video, broadcast, streaming, etc
- Experience with Linux operating systems
- Automation skills in Python, shell, bash, and/or other languages
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, information systems, math, physics, or similar technical field
- Must be comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities
- Deep understanding of carrier and service provider networks but not limited to:
- Connectivity (Ethernet, WDM, IPv4 and IPv6)
- Switching (MPLS, QinQ, etc)
- Routing (BGP, OSPF, IS-IS)
- Subscriber Management (BNG, RADIUS/AAA, QoS, BSS/OSS integration)
- Network security and Anti-DDoS measures
- Internet services (DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc.)
- Mobile IP
- Software defined networking (SDN) and/or network function virtualization (NFV)
- Network health monitoring systems such as Observium or Nagios
- Experience with hands-on work in bringing up network infrastructure
- Experience with automatically managing dozens or hundreds of network assets
- Experience with Puppet, Ansible, or other automation frameworks
- Ability to run projects independently
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with customers, peers, management etc. in both formal and informal situations
- Must be willing to travel domestically and globally; 10% travel required
- Must be available for on-call rotations
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.