SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST AUTOMATION ENGINEER (SOFTWARE), DRAGON ENGINEERING
Within the Dragon Components & Subassembly engineering team, Test Automation Engineers implement systems to support development, qualification, and acceptance testing of flight hardware. The creation of software which manages the control, automation, and monitoring of flight hardware remains a key component of our future success. The team is looking for software-focused individual who can help further develop our testing infrastructure, develop tools to reduce labor hours and increase rate, while also improving the reliability of our software systems in production.
- Develop and maintain technician and engineer-facing software applications which support reliable, scalable, and autonomous testing of flight hardware
- Provide time-sensitive troubleshooting and technical support for test operations
- Collaborate with other teams within SpaceX to integrate software solutions at the system level, including interfacing with flight hardware, test equipment, and existing test software infrastructure
- Define requirements for new software solutions based on internal test engineering needs
- Perform functional verification of software capability against defined system requirements
- Exercise effective project and time management skills to scope, track, and execute projects
- Effectively communicate (written and oral) with team, leadership, and internal customers
- Maintain a positive, can-do attitude in the face of unexpected challenges
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer/electrical engineering, or related technical discipline
- 2+ years of experience in a software development role (including internships, design/build/compete project teams)
- Experience developing software for data acquisition and analysis, as well as control of hardware
- Experience with revision control tools (ex. Git or SVN)
- Experience defining interface/communication between existing applications and newly-developed software
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or related technical discipline
- Programming languages:
- 2+ years with a scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby)
- 2+ years with LabVIEW
- Familiarity with SQL
- Fluency with Linux
- Experience with:
- Agile development tools, particularly Atlassian products: Jira, Stash, Confluence
- National Instruments (or similar) data acquisition hardware
- Design of intuitive and user-friendly GUIs
- Automated data review and analysis
- Transducers and other test hardware (pressure sensors, thermocouples, flow meters, etc.)
- SQL databases
- Writing automated unit tests
- Demonstrated contributions to large applications with many stakeholders
- Basic understanding of computer networking
- Ability to determine best path forward on technical problems given incomplete information
- Ability to adapt (incl. roles/responsibilities) while in a fast-paced, challenging work environment
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a small development team
- Strong documentation skills
- Position may require extended work hours and occasional weekend work
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.