SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack / Developer Tools)
Software Delivery Engineering develops the infrastructure which allows engineers across the company to develop, test, and ship highly robust software to the SpaceX fleet of rockets and spacecraft. Some of the products we're responsible for include a continuous integration and delivery system, data review automation tools, and a configuration data automation platform. This team works with all engineering disciplines to integrate design specifications, source code, system configuration, test data, and historical operational data into a single cohesive product.
Aerospace experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving problems and want to make an impact on a super inspiring mission.
As a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer on the Software Delivery Engineering team, you will engage with other SpaceX engineers to learn about their workflows, challenges, and the systems they are building. You will take this knowledge and your own passion for building great software, and develop systems that allow our teams to innovate rapidly and reliably. You will be responsible for the complete life-cycle of the software you create, including development, testing, and support. You are the engineer that other engineers can count on; you are technically excellent, you attack every problem with enthusiasm, you care deeply about what it takes to build high quality software. You are a self-starter, team player, have the hunger to venture quickly into unknown areas and code and make the system work.
- Build and maintain software systems that are used by the entire company to deliver software to SpaceX's fleet
- Own all aspects of software engineering and product development
- Act as a responsible engineer for various software products
- Deep dive into your users' problems, find efficient solutions
- Provide strong technical leadership, focus on continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, math, or scientific discipline and 4+ years in software engineering, OR 6+ years in software engineering without a degree
- 2+ years of experience developing across a full stack: web server, relational database, and client-side/front-end
- Experience with version control, continuous integration, and continuous delivery concepts
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of experience in web applications development
- Expertise with Linux, Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Terraform
- Experience with build systems (Make, Bazel / Pants / Buck, Gradle, etc) and package management tools (pip, npm, etc)
- Deep understanding of testing, continuous integration, build, deployment & continuous monitoring
- Experience scaling web applications and optimizing applications for performance
- Solid understanding of UI/UX design to provide intuitive applications
- Great creative and innovative problem-solving skills
- Initiative and the ability to work independently and collaborate within a team
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.