SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SpaceX is seeking a talented, self-driven individual for a position as Communications Lead. As a key member of the team, the Communications Lead will coordinate communications with our customers, work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to support key initiatives, and develop communication strategies that get the public excited about space exploration and support SpaceX’s position as an industry leader. The successful candidate is passionate about our mission, a strategic thinker with a can-do attitude, and a natural verbal and written communicator who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where no problem is too great and no detail too small.
This position will work out of SpaceX’s Washington, DC office with frequent travel in support of launches and other events.
- Provide tactical public relations support, including logistical planning and execution, and maintain successful relationships with a portfolio of customers and key partners
- Develop communication strategies that will generate public excitement about SpaceX’s mission of human space exploration
- Support SpaceX executives and other company leaders during speaking engagements and other events through communications training and preparation of presentations and other assets as needed
- Work cross-functionality with internal stakeholders to support key initiatives
- Develop and implement effective communication programs in response to strategic priorities and crisis situations
- Completed bachelor’s degree from a 4 year university or college
- 5+ years of experience in communications, events, or content development
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in communications, events, or content development in a highly technical environment
- Exceptional verbal and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to quickly grasp and synthesize complex issues
- Deep understanding of social media strategies and tactics
- Impeccable writing skills, demonstrating the ability to communicate information to multiple audiences
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic, results-oriented team environment
- Established skills in strategic and critical thinking, decision-making, negotiation, and relationship-building
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and possess a proven ability to thrive under deadline pressure and to execute on a number of projects simultaneously
- Must be willing to travel frequently
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.