SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY ENGINEER (BOCA CHICA)
- Develop, implement and maintain site specific safety policies and programs including:
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal safety regulations
- Develop, implement and maintain safety contingency plans (fires, spills, etc.)
- Consult with site management to develop, determine implementation schedule, and operational requirements related to the site specific safety policies
- Develop a proactive approach and plan to preventing and solving workplace safety issues
- Complete job hazard analysis and PPE assessments
- Provide regulatory guidance and safety support for site hazardous operations including confined space entry and working at heights
- Develop and implement field monitoring of employee exposures to job and chemical hazards, and recommend process and product safety features that will reduce employees’ exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work hazards
- Perform safety compliance and due diligence audits which will consider facilities, machinery, and safety equipment. All safety programs will be reviewed during these audits including, PPE usage, fall protection, lock out/tag out, and hearing conservation
- Develop and implement a corrective action system for deficiencies identified during due diligence audits
- In collaboration with site senior management, develop and implement reasonable disciplinary measures for employees that are not following site safety policies
- Complete and maintain all required safety logs and reports, submit reports of performance as requested
- Investigate industrial accidents, injuries, or occupational diseases to determine causes and preventive measures. Report findings to management as appropriate and track documented corrective actions
- Purchase and maintain site personal protective equipment.
- Develop, implement, and maintain site specific environmental policies and programs:
- Hazardous and non-hazardous waste management, including waste characterization, profiling, documenting, reporting, and disposal coordination
- Prepare a Spill Prevention Control Countermeasures (SPCC) plan as required
- Investigate and report spills and releases
- Develop and submit permits and perform inspections, monitoring and reporting as required by local, state and federal environmental regulations
- Perform inspections, monitoring and reporting as required by local/state and federal air quality regulations.
- Perform environmental compliance and due diligence audits periodically which will include our Air, Wastewater, Storm water, and Hazardous Waste/Materials Management programs
- In collaboration with site senior management, develop and implement a corrective action implementation program in order to ensure that any deficiencies identified during the audits or daily operations are addressed in a timely manner.
- Perform any federal/state required environmental monitoring and reporting as required by environmental mitigation programs that have been agreed to by SpaceX
- Review and interpret new and proposed environmental laws and regulations, and provide guidance to management regarding applicability and implementation
- Develop community relationships with local, state and federal entities such as: police departments, police chiefs, emergency medical teams, and city officials
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience in the design, development, and general operational oversight of environmental, health and safety disciplines
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in interpreting, applying, and documenting federal, state and local safety in transportation and environmental regulations
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of environmental hazards and safety disciplines with experience in safety, environmental compliance and industrial hygiene
- Knowledge of specific federal and state environmental laws and regulations. Relevant regulatory regulations and agencies in: 29 CRF 1910, 40 CRF, OSHA, EPA, CEPA, EPCRA/CERCLA
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Intermediate skills in Windows 2000/XP, Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- The ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment
- Willing to work significant overtime when needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.