SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, STATE GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
SpaceX, a revolutionary space technology company, is seeking to expand engagement with state and local governments nationwide, specifically related to our global space-based broadband constellation, Starlink. Starlink will deliver low-latency broadband internet worldwide, helping to solve the “last mile” problem of broadband connectivity in the U.S. and worldwide. As Manager, State Government Affairs, you would have a key role in determining Starlink’s successful market entry throughout the United States, helping to lead efforts nationwide to shape policy and regulatory environments to support Starlink adoption and contribute to SpaceX’s mission overall. You will work with a broad degree of autonomy and be key in our shared success.
- Develop and implement nationwide state and local government relations engagement strategy in support of the company’s goals and positions, with a focus on Starlink technology deployment
- Advocate to optimize prospective satellite and telecommunications state and local legislative and policy frameworks and environments in alignment with SpaceX business objectives
- Comprehensively track and internally communicate to SpaceX management the state and local legislative and regulatory initiatives of importance to the company
- Establish and manage state and local consulting team under the supervision of the Senior Director, Government Affairs
- Establish relationships with relevant state and local third-party organizations and local influencers to shape policy at the state and local government level in key locations
- Strengthen SpaceX’s political impact using extensive state and local government expertise and network
- Plan and execute tailor-made strategies to ensure state and local legislative and regulatory initiatives have a positive impact for the company
- Represent and promote the company positions before state and local administrations, legislators and other elected officials, regulators, and regional state and local government organizations and associations
- Compile competitive state and local relevant competitive intelligence for the company
- Provide strategic state and local guidance, information, and competitive intelligence in support of business development efforts, which may include:
- Opportunities for state and local partnerships
- Targeted deployment in support of the business strategy for early satellite market entry or new service offerings initiatives
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in state government relations/lobbying
- Demonstrated experience securing positive, proactive political or legislative outcomes at the state level
- Direct knowledge of state legislative and state executive agency processes
- Experience managing state government relations consultants
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in public policy or another relevant field
- Juris Doctor degree
- Understanding of satellite and telecommunications, and related policies
- Experience working in state government
- Public speaking experience
- Must be willing to travel (up to 50%)
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends, as needed
- Must be willing to attend political and industry events on behalf of SpaceX
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.