SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The Merchandiser plays a pivotal role in SpaceX’s multimillion-dollar merchandise function, making sure it operates at maximum efficiency. This role is responsible for overseeing vendor management, inventory and warehouse management, merchandise sales, planning and forecasting. The Merchandiser will work with the Merchandise Coordinators and the Design Operations Director to develop merchandise programs that expand the suit of SpaceX apparel and consumer products for employees and the broader public.
Financial Planning + Forecasting
- Analyze historical data and performance metrics to forecast a long-term merchandise buying strategy, as well as put in place associated development timelines to ensure maximum cost and operational efficiencies.
- Analyze sales, costs, and current trends to set pricing strategies for products and shipping rates.
- Ensure inventory levels are properly maintained and stay above necessary thresholds, with special attention to peak times surrounding historic milestones and launches.
- Issue purchase order’s (PO’s) for all merchandise and projects and ensure all PO’s are closed out in a timely manner.
- Work directly with purchasing to ensure SpaceX is paying the most competitive rates, and manage RFP’s as necessary.
Operational + Logistics
- Manage all operations and deadlines for consumer product ordering process including sourcing, vendor management, production, delivery, inventory management, sales and reporting.
- Field and execute niche and premium requests for launches, events, and customers.
- Ensure daily File Transfer Protocol (FTP) feeds are accurate between the fulfillment center and web stores, as well as oversee fulfillment house operations.
- Develop new SKU and UPC management system, and regularly ensure product catalog is properly maintained including the addition of new products.
- Administer employee and public facing web stores and work with developers as needed to correct necessary issues.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for merchandise needs of internal departments.
- Manage large scale distributions of products both internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 3+ years of merchandise planning experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working in ecommerce/online product sales and distribution.
- Experience using Shopify as an ecommerce platform.
- Experience managing complete lifecycle of a product – from conception to delivery.
- Experience with licensing deals and partnerships.
- Ability to successfully foster highly effective and collaborative relationships.
- Possess strong communication skills both verbally and written.
- Bias for action, with an ability to use logic and rigorous problem-solving methods to determine solutions.
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills, with an ability to clearly align resources to get projects completed effectively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite, with advanced Excel experience
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and the ability to do advanced Photoshop functions.
- Ability to interpret trends from both qualitative and quantitative data, and take action accordingly.
- Must be willing to travel on occasion as needed
- Must be willing to work weekends on occasion
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.