SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AUTOMATION & CONTROLS ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
SpaceX's Starship spacecraft and Super Heavy rocket (collectively referred to as Starship) represent a fully reusable transportation system designed to carry both crew and cargo to Earth orbit, the Moon, Mars and beyond. Starship will be the world's most powerful launch vehicle ever developed, with the ability to carry in excess of 100 metric tons to Earth orbit.
We are looking for an automation & controls engineer to help SpaceX develop and build a great variety of automated solutions to aid in the rapid R&D and production of Starship in South TX. In addition to developing automated manufacturing systems, the role will also entail developing launch data and control systems. The successful applicant will be joining, and be supported, by a highly talented team of automation and control engineers with an amazing track record in developing any type of automated solution imaginable.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics
- Architect, write, and debug PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable for manufacturing applications
- Develop robot systems to aid in the automated manufacturing of various vehicle sub components
- Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other manufacturing equipment
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluid plumbing
- Select and size electrical and electro-mechanical components such as servo motors and controllers
- Deploy automated processes and equipment into production
- Set, implement, and maintain schedules and budgets to ensure project completion
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of professional experience in the design and commissioning of automation and controls systems for industrial applications (school projects and/or internship experience count)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Professional experience with process integration and electromechanical/mechatronic systems
- Experience in a variety of robotic weld applications (Kuka, ABB & Fanuc)
- Robot and PLC simulation
- Experience working with National Instruments software and hardware
- Electrical schematic CAD experience using EPlan
- C#, .NET, python and/or SQL experience
- PLC programming experience, preferably Siemens TIA Portal & Beckhoff TwinCat 3
- HMI and SCADA programming experience
- Field bus networks, serial communication and Ethernet communication
- Hands-on experience building and commissioning high quality electrical control panels and electro-mechanical systems
- Knowledge of NEC, NFPA 79, UL508A codes
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (vision systems, dispense systems, temperature controllers, laser distance sensors, Nut-Runners, etc)
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design and manufacturing environments
- Experience solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.