SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENSOR DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
The Sensor Development team designs, builds, and tests innovative sensing solutions that are critical to making life on Mars possible. The sensor mechanical test engineer will work on this highly interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to create test systems for physical sensors, such as pressure transducers, thermocouples, accelerometers, heat flux sensors, and flow sensors.
Primary responsibilities include selecting pressure transducers for specific applications on all of SpaceX’s vehicles. Conducting evaluation testing, qualification testing, data analysis/review, and interfacing with system owners. Additional responsibilities include:
- Responsible engineer for pressure sensors used across SpaceX vehicles
- Coordinate and execute acceptance and qualification testing of sensors
- Work across teams (systems, integration, dynamics, propulsion, etc.) to ensure appropriate sensors are selected for use case and complete qualification testing
- Participate in design reviews internally and with suppliers and customers
- Investigate test or sensor failures and communicate/execute recommended actions
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, or computer engineering
- Experience with sensors or instrumentation
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with instrumentation, specifically pressure transducers and pressurized systems
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, or computer engineering
- 2+ years of experience supporting system or component level testing
- Knowledge of various pressure sensing technologies available
- Experience with signal conditioning and data acquisition of high channel count tests
- Excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skills
- Development experience in Python, LabVIEW, SQL, and/or MATLAB
- Extensive knowledge of physical sensors, specifically pressure, acceleration, strain, and temperature.
- Experience with test equipment, including thermal chambers, data acquisition systems, pressure controllers, DMMs, etc.
- Willing to work extended hours or weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.