SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD TIG WELDER
- Welding assembly and fabrication on various small to large scale structures and assemblies.
- Oversee day to day team needs (i.e. parts, tools, consumables).
- Monitor and implement area safety requirements and improvements.
- Coordinate and provide weld training for trainees.
- Coordinate shop logistics and activity, including daily schedules, work flow, and engineering support.
- Set and accomplish daily production goals in accordance with overall department delivery goals.
- Effectively communicate with management/supervisors, engineering staff and planners to achieve build efficiency.
- Identify and task team members appropriately to their skill level.
- Modification, repair, assembly, and installation of the rocket and spacecraft.
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing.
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 5 years of experience in TIG welding.
- Experience welding stainless steel, carbon steel, Inconel, or aluminum.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1 year of orbital tube welding experience.
- 5 years working in a high-volume manufacturing experience.
- Experience with precision tube fit up preferably stainless or Inconel .035-.095 wall tubing ranging in diameters from.250” to 20.00”.
- Experience in welding with aluminum 2219 and 6061.
- AWS D17.1 certified.
- Experience in training TIG welders to become AWS D17.1 certified.
- Experience in overhead cranes and forklifts.
- Experience in machining and fabrication proficiencies.
- Vertical mill, holding tight tolerances and correct material setups.
- Lathe, holding tight tolerances and correct material setups.
- Various power tools such as drills, saws, and pneumatic die grinders etc.
- Fit-up of various parts and material configurations.
- Utilize proper tools for precision measuring.
- Basic knowledge of inherent NDE inspection methods and criteria including Penitent, Visual, and X-ray tests.
- Basic understanding of Smart Sheets, and/or Microsoft Suites.
- Must be able to work off-shift with minimal notice.
- Must be able to travel to different sites, as needed. Up to 20% travel.
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to lift a min. of 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Must pass exam per AWS D17.1
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.