SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CNC LATHE MACHINIST (2nd Shift)
- Machines precision fixtures, tools and products from drawings, in accordance with established procedures, with limited supervision
- Plans machining by studying work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, CAD files, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters; interprets geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T)
- Operates lathes by entering instructions, including zero and reference points; sets tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculates requirements including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry
- Sets-up lathes by installing and adjusting three- and four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, and stock pushers, tramming heads, fixturing and workholding as required, including adding features for holding if necessary for particular part geometry
- Verifies settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample workpieces
- Maintains specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; maintain cutting tools and makes necessary adjustments in machine control to meet part specifications
- Maintains safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations
- Maintains continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs
- Responsible for improving the shop's quality and productivity through addressing machining issues that arise in the manufacturing process
- High school diploma or GED
- 5+ years of machining experience with CNC lathe machines
- Programming experience
- Experience with complex, tight tolerance parts and various metallic materials
- Ability to read and work off of a blueprint
- Experience in shop math, tooling technology, blueprint reading and measurement of parts
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively. Ability to read accurately and write clearly
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Ability to work overtime and weekends when needed
- Able to lift a minimum of 40lbs. unassisted
- Able to stand for extended periods- 8 hours minimum
- Repetitive movement, bending or twisting, using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls, exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting are part of this role
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.