SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS TEST AUTOMATION ENGINEER
Responsible for the development and execution of software and, when needed, hardware solutions that automate testing strategies for physical sensors, such as pressure, acceleration, strain, and temperature. Primary responsibility includes designing and developing test software that automates both the testing of such sensors and analysis of test results. Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop modular, reusable test architectures for manufacturing and engineering design verification
- Develop test software that interfaces with a range of test equipment
- Develop custom automation solutions to engineering and manufacturing challenges using a combination of embedded electronics and innovative hardware
- Work closely with responsible engineers and manufacturing engineers to ensure a testable product is being developed and influence the design to increase product reliability and test coverage. Make recommendations for design, process improvements, and data collection
- Define and implement project plans, manage milestones and hold reviews to assure reliable test systems are delivered to production
- Write verification test plans, test procedures, and test reports against product requirements
- Investigate test or sensor failures and communicate/execute recommended actions
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or computer science/computer engineering
- Experience in Python, LabVIEW, SQL, MATLAB, or Embedded C
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in and engineering discipline
- Experience in test software development, automation, manufacturing, or embedded electronics
- Experience working with research and development and manufacturing engineering teams
- Experience automating processes and testing to improve manufacturing yields and reduce production time.
- Excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skill
- 1+ years of experience supporting test and automation to transition products from development to manufacturing
- Extensive knowledge of physical sensors, specifically pressure, acceleration, strain, and temperature
- Extensive knowledge with a range of interfaces including GPIB, USB, VISA, TCP/IP, CAN bus, SPI, I2C
- Experience with test equipment, including thermal chambers, data acquisition systems, pressure controllers, DMMs, etc.
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.